Author Topic: What is the right time to go outside within EASY? Activity or sleep time and whe  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Vionat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My son is 9 weeks (3 weeks early, so 6 real weeks I guess) old and we fell into the prop of using our bodies to let him fall asleep. We have started the EASY methd 24 hr ago and have to say the the frst night was great, nap time however is a struggle. But hanging in there. In our old habits I used to take him out for a long walk, lunch or shopping. Mostly after 1 feed untill the next (on 4hr schedule). Assuming he would sleep somewhere along the way.  Obviously that didn't work all the time....
Now, what's the right time to take him out? During activity or sleep time? I guess activity, right? Then what time of the day is best?
First time mum, usually very confident but DS makes me insecure at times ;-)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
I think you can take him out whenever you want really. Maybe just bear in mind whether it'll be to noisy to sleep etc.
If he'll sleep in the buggy great you can do some naps in the buggy. If he won't then you may wish to avoid going out in it at sleep times so he doesn't get OT.
You might want to avoid ONLY ever giving him naps in the buggy though so this doesn't become a prop that he needs the buggy to sleep. One nap in the cot a day around this age should be enough for a while to help him get used to sleeping there.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 87
Totally depends on where he'll sleep.  My first slept in the car well so I would purposely go for along drive to a store or to meet a friend, by the time I got there she would be asleep, which was great with a carry car seat I could just pop her out and into the buggy without disturbing her.  I'd make sure I was somewhere I could feed her upon arrival and then would spend the awake time shopping or visiting.  Then the car ride home napping again, making sure I was home in time for her next meal.

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline eaf

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
I know this is not the main subject in your thread (or even this forum :S), but isn't a 4h schedule too much for a baby this tiny? In Tracy's books she recommends starting with 3h interval between feeds for most babies, 2,5h for preemies and small babies. Maybe that's making naps harder? He may be hungry or OT when you try putting him down. Just a thought....
About your question, when I go out with DD (8 weeks old) I usually try to do it after a good nap and a feed, so we have some A until she falls asleep in the pram or the car seat. When she wakes up, I feed her, and try to be back at home before she falls asleep again (so she doesn't have 2 naps in role out of her crib).
Congratulations on your new baby!
E.