Author Topic: 11 months old and still on 4 bottles a day ....  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Littlemissbump82

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11 months old and still on 4 bottles a day ....
« on: November 21, 2011, 21:46:46 pm »
Hi, I'm after some advice with my 11 month old daughter please - she is a reflux baby (no longer on medication and doesn't suffer from reflux anymore) which meant she has always had little and often with her milk since she was newborn, a classic snacker. She is also a BLW baby who has been doing really well with her food and eating lots of different solids. Her EASY is roughly:

E 7.30 - 3-4oz milk (she won't drink anymore than this)
A (including breakfast - normally weetabix/fruit/toast)
S 10.30 - 11.15

E 11.30 3-4oz milk
A (including lunch - sandwich/cucumber/tomatoes/yogurt etc)
S 2.30 - 3.30

E 3.30 3-4oz milk
A (including dinner - a hot meal with either chicken or fish usually)
Bath and wind down routine
E 6.30 3-4oz milk
S 7pm until morning

I am not sure how to cut the 2 daytime bottles out? I am worried that she is going to be one in 3 weeks and is still on 4 bottles a day (even though it totals only max. 16oz a day). I've tried to bring her lunch forwards instead of the 11.30 milk but by 12.30 she is crying for her milk and then it throws the afternoon out as she won't last until bedtime milk with no milk inbetween...

Also, she drinks water really well out of her sippy cup, I have tried to put her milk in there and she just won't drink it, she throws it on the floor and gets upset. Does anyone have any tips for me on how I can help her to drink milk out of a cup and how to cut down the number of milk feeds in a day? Should I be giving snacks instead of milk?

Thank you for your help x

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 11 months old and still on 4 bottles a day ....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 04:17:51 am »
Have you tried doing watered down milk in her sippy? 

I really wouldn't be too concerned given that she is only totally 16 ozs a day at the high end... if you are really worried, drop each to a 3 oz bottle only.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 21:16:46 pm »
You coulod shift things around a bit so she has lunch when she would have the bottle and then give her some more milk before her afternoon sleep. This is a common way to do 3 bottles around 10ish months. After her nap then you can give her a small snack and a drink of milk in a sippy to help her to get used to the sippy.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 21:18:03 pm »
Good idea Laura :)

Offline Littlemissbump82

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 14:52:51 pm »
Thank you, that's a good idea I'll try that ... With the milk in the sippy should I hold her like I do when she has her bottle(she holds her bottle herself but likes the cuddle when having milk)or sit her in her highchair? Thanks again for your help, I'm thinking the transition to sippy is going to be a battle as she loves her bottles and is very strong willed ... But she may prove me wrong! X

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 14:58:40 pm »

Offline Littlemissbump82

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 20:07:40 pm »
thank you for the link - I'm going to start trying tomorrow and as Tracy says in her book, if I'm 100% I've not been very consistent with giving milk in the cup so will start with a little in her cup with her meals and take it from there - she drinks really well from her cup (she loves water) but she likes the comfort of the bottle ... I'm also going to bring her lunch forwards to 11.30 in the hope she drinks more milk in her afternoon feed to get down to 3 bottles ... I'll let you know how I get on!