Author Topic: Vomiting - dairy intolerance or something else  (Read 3133 times)

Offline krispifsu

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Vomiting - dairy intolerance or something else
« on: December 01, 2011, 16:00:33 pm »
I need some help figuring out what happened the other night.

My son is on 2 ml 2x's daily of Zantac. I suspected that there may be a MPI with him as well due to gassiness and a few intermittent mucousy poops so I cut out *most* obvious dairy although I never did a complete elimination of all dairy. I started slowly adding some dairy back in my diet and he seemed to handle it ok (coffee creamer, bread, etc.). No more mucousy poops and the crying/sleeping got much better with the meds although we did still have some bad days and I could still hear him refluxing at night.

On Tuesday night I ate some pasta with alfredo sauce. My son was cranky so I ended up stopping eating mid-meal to put him down for a late nap. He had just eaten some pureed pear mixed with water and rice cereal (all of which he has had before) and I nursed him and put him down around 6:30. He woke up shortly after 7 very cranky but I put him in his bath and he was very content playing in the water. After I had got him dressed for bed, he started vomiting and continued vomiting every 5 minutes for about 2 hours (vomiting actual food/milk in the beginning and finally just dry heaving).

He finally fell asleep on me, and then per the nurse's instructions, I let him nurse for about 5 minutes every hour. He kept down his feedings from 11 onwards. The next day he seemed ok but had a very, very mucousy poop late afternoon. Last night was a very fussy night - awake every 2 hours, wanting to nurse constantly, wouldn't sleep in crib.

Could the alfredo sauce have affected him that quickly to cause the vomiting even though I had only eaten 1/2 of my meal and he started vomiting just about an hour after he last nursed from me?  I can see it causing the mucousy poop the next day.

I'm just trying to figure out if he really does have a MPI or if it was pure coincidence.  I still feel like there is a lot of room for improvement with the reflux and I don't know now if the bad nights are caused by the reflux or a food intolerance.

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Vomiting - dairy intolerance or something else
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 16:31:38 pm »
Milk protein intolerance symptoms can mimic reflux as it is, so I would probably cut out all dairy for 2-4 weeks (2 weeks to clear your system completely, 2 more for his system) and see if it makes a difference. It can be hard to avoid the dairy until you get used to it, but if it results in the symptoms clearing, then you know.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 22:04:08 pm »
Hmm, I am no medical expert but vomiting like that to me would point to a bug or an allergic reaction. If you previously had dairy in your diet with no violent reaction then I would guess a bug. Although TBH I am not sure if that kind of vomiting could be the reflux  ???

Offline krispifsu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 22:25:40 pm »
I know - that's why I'm so confused. Even before we got the reflux meds and I started cutting out obvious dairy, he never reacted like that before. The nurse thought it was likely a stomach bug, but I'd hate to keep eating dairy and it be detrimental for him...but I don't want to cut dairy out of my diet for no reason...

I just don't know. I suppose doing a true dairy trial couldn't hurt...but now I don't know whether to also look into different reflux meds as his 6 month check up is next week and it's the best time to deal with it.  I am so confused  ???

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 22:56:05 pm »
Even if you start an ED now, it's going to be a while before you're likely to see clear results. I'd go ahead and start it, and mention this episode at his appointment. If he gets new meds, you can always wait a few days to see if the ED is working before you start administering them, see if the ED is giving you clear results, or the doc may say to give the ED a couple weeks and then come back in.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 17:21:46 pm »
If your gut tells you he has MPI then I would go back on the ED. It does sound like it helped him. As Deb says mention this at your appt. When he is back on an even keel certainly add some dairy into your diet agan and keep a careful eye on reactions.

One of the hardest things about BFing and EDs is the continual doubting and wondering if reactions/improvements are a co-incidnce/imagination etc!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 17:27:59 pm »
Oliver used to bring up a bit of milk when I had dairy (tolerates it more now) - but not vomiting like you described - that does sound like a tummy bug,

I do agree with Buntybear though - go with your gut instinct - I kept thinking M had intolerence but others said no, but he did.  Oliver used to be sick (tiny amount really) with me having dairy and gets a really snotty nose after a few days.  Does no harm trying ED but make sure you are getting calcium elsewhere, etc
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

tigerlilly905

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 02:27:38 am »
I agree, I would go with the ED for a while and just make sure you're getting a calcium supplement in you.

FWIW, we've been dealing with food intolerances for a while and I've been on an EDs since Ds2 was 6 weeks old. We're also connected with a ND.  Here's a little insight that could be worth you looking into in regards to the reflux:

Our ND believes that babies w/ reflux are very deficient in stomach acids, and probably enzymes (which can be one of the main contributing factors in reflux). These babies usually also have low zinc.  Low zinc is what leads to low stomach acid. Low stomach acid means the stomach has trouble digesting foods and reflux is common. When an infant has poor digestion, and especially low stomach acid, s/he will be susceptible to Candida (one of the "bad" bacterias/poor gut flora which can be inherited while passing through the birth canal) - Poor gut flora is one of the main causes of leaky gut, which can cause food intolerences...

I hope that wasn't too complex, but it's worth talking to your Dr/ND about. Do you have your Ds on a high quality probiotic?  Probiotics are outstanding for digestion and balancing the body on many levels. We use Klaire Labs infant probiotic. I highly recommend it to anyone with these types of issues. http://www.amazon.com/Klaire-Labs-Ther-Biotic-Infant-Formula/dp/B001PYXMV4  It's free of all common allergens.

((hugs))

Offline krispifsu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 18:47:54 pm »
Thank you all for the comments.

I ended up taking him in to the doctor because the nights were just AWFUL. I got about 4 hrs of sleep in 3 days and he was just so uncomfortable - crying, squirming, refluxing, gagging, coughing, congested, spitting up...you name it, he did it.  We ended up upping his dosage of Zantac to 2.5 ml twice daily and I went back on a restricted diet...and he's back to the smilely happy little man I know he is.  Still not sure if it's food intolerances or what - but I'm not going to change a thing that I am doing right now because it seems to be working!

I do have him on a probiotic but it is the Solaray Babylife Infant Probiotics.  I think though that I should be giving him more than I am though.  It says I can give 1/2 -1 scoop twice daily and I usually only do it once daily. 

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 19:06:06 pm »
Glad to hear he is happier, albeit with you having to restrict your diet.  I did that with O (total dairy=free) but recently reintroduced it and he is doing fine with it (no longer bringing up milk - can't tell about the mucousy nose though as he and M have both had awful colds since I stopped!!).

WRT probiotics I think you are right to start gradually as they can cause wind etc, I think ....
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 21:00:28 pm »
Hi glad you have found a solution to your little ones distress x