Author Topic: Trying to get to only one NF, need a plan  (Read 942 times)

Offline lilybug25

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
Trying to get to only one NF, need a plan
« on: December 04, 2011, 15:48:51 pm »
DD2 is on homemade goat formula. She is 6 weeks old. We do a Df at 10:30-11pm and she only ever drinks 2 oz. She does 2 NFs, one at 1-2am and another 5-6 am. The 1st Nf she drinks 3.5-4oz so I know she is as hungry hungry! The second she usually drinks 2 oz. She weights almost 9 pounds and goes 2.5-3 hrs during the day between feeds. I had tried cluster feeding before and it didn't work, think power puking acrossed room ::). I would love to get to only one big NF. Now I need a plan to get there.
Questions:
Should I try cluster feeding again since she's bigger, with the normal DF?
Am I being realistic in pushing for one NF?

I know she can do one long strech of 4-5 hrs at night without a bottle, it has hapened before (not often though).Can someone help me make a plan?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Trying to get to only one NF, need a plan
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 19:37:24 pm »
The thing is, she is only 6 weeks old. She has a tiny tummy that needs filling regularly, the amount she is waking for feeds in the night is totally normal - she is going 3 hours or more between feeds, given all the problems you have had she is actually doing well. My DD was born at the weight your LO is now and she certainly didn't do less night feeds for a long time, they do need the feeds.

If cluster feeding has made her puke more it probalby will again until she is a lot bigger and I doubt she is physically ready to take bigger feeds that will get her to sleep longer yet. If she's not drinking much at the DF you could try stopping that and wait for her to wake by herself, that may make a difference as she may wake between the DF time and the first NF time and then go 3/4 hours from that feed.

I know it's not what you want to hear but I really do think she's too small to be trying to alter her feeds right now, I think you need to ride it out until she starts to go longer stretches by herself.

Laura

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
Re: Trying to get to only one NF, need a plan
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 19:46:12 pm »
Thanks Laura,
 Will just go with the flow for now and wait till she is older to try.
 I shouldn't complain as we have gone through so much and nights are good, 100% better then they were 3 weeks ago. Weren't even this close to "prefect" nights with DD1 at this age and we didn't have a rough start with her!
Thanks again for making me be greatful Laura  :-*