Author Topic: Could this "cold" be allergy related?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Happyface82

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:57:01 pm »
Girls! I've got another question for you! Katerina ate 2 tiny strawberries last Sat and reacted to them. Sunday she woke up with a runny nose and a bit of eczema on her lgl. By Tuesday she had 2 bits of eczema. The runny nose has still not gone away but its weird. It hasn't gotten any worse but it hasn't improved either. She has also dark circles under her eyes and her nose seems to be itch and she sneezes every now and then. Could this be allergic rather than a normal cold? I read online that when the mucus is clear its usually allergic, and that's what its like.

Question 2, if it is allergic, would it be from the strawberries or could it be something in the environment affecting her? Why does this have to be so complicated?

I forgot to add she is still on antihistamines daily so that should help!

Thank you! Hope everyone else is doing well!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Could this "cold" be allergy related?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 15:35:08 pm »
It could be the berries, something environmental, or it could be a combination and the berries sent it over the edge. I know my whole house is making me itch this time of year and I've got allergy shiners to the point where I'm wearing makeup almost daily to cover them (and I don't usually bother with makeup!). Consider maybe trying an antihistamine like Benadryl for her - they make a dye-free one - and see if it makes a difference?

Offline Happyface82

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Could this "cold" be allergy related?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 00:43:21 am »
Thank you for your reply. She is on Zaditen (ketotifen) at the moment daily (at night). She was on smt else in the day but we've cut it now. I tried giving it her today though and she was much better. She is under a gastroenterologists care as most her symptoms are intestinal but I'm thinking maybe someone who is dealing with allergies in general might be more appropriate at this stage.