Author Topic: Diapers leaking at night, need suggestions!  (Read 1689 times)

Offline lady5280

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Diapers leaking at night, need suggestions!
« on: December 14, 2011, 17:08:24 pm »
Hey all, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but we just sized up our LO to size 3 diapers bc he was starting to leak out of his old size. Tried pointing peepee down, didn't help. I thought the next size up would solve it, but he is continuing to leak. As you might have guessed, this makes for more NWs than normal. We use cloth in the day and disposables at night bc cloth gets very wet and uncomfortable for him and disposables can usually allow us to skip one night change when I nurse him. But why is he still leaking??

Any suggestions for a good night time diaper (in the USA) or method for fastening better? He is about 14 pounds and size 3 is 16+ pounds but he has chunky thighs and the waist was too small on size 2.

Offline LucK

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Diapers leaking at night, need suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 17:14:19 pm »
You may want to try other brand, type.  My with DD1 huggies always leaked but pampers worked.  For my DD2 pampers swaddlers leaked but pampers regular (not sure of the correct name) work much better. 

I've also read some parents double diaper the baby but I never had to try this.

Offline darcys mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 17:22:58 pm »
I had lots of trouble with my DS and leaking nappies at this age as well, and found the same to be true with huggies being no good and the pampers much better. I think I tried nearly every kind on the market and even though the pampers were better we did still have some wet nights, it's a pain isn't it! Nothing wakes them right up better than a complete change in the middle of the night!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 17:25:25 pm »
I found that both boys went through little phases of leaking (and not just because they needed the next size up).  I too found Huggies leaked ALL the time, Pampers were usually okay, and Nature nappies are usually pretty good :) 

Could you change during the night without disturbing your LO too much (ie just whip the nappy off and put a dry one on?) ???
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 17:36:42 pm »
See, here Huggies are always the way to go. I hate Pampers! Whenever one of my kids start leaking I just use the next size up at night, and it helps.

I have a friend who used to lay a clean, dry washcloth on her son's penis at night time, and then put the diaper on.

Part of it is age, too... they are nursing a lot at night right now, so they pee a lot at night. When the NFs start to space out, you will find that the wetness starts to not be as much of an issue.
Amy

Offline JayLeigh

• Roman & Quinn's mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • remember when...
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 18:20:10 pm »
Huggies overnights!! Was a chronic problem for us and these were the only brand that helped!

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 18:48:06 pm »
I had this problem with ds.  The overnights were too big though.  I found if I put on two disposables that seemed to help. 

Offline lady5280

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 19:52:08 pm »
Thanks, for all the suggestions! I can change him quickly most of the time, unless he has leaked through his onesie and his pjs. Then we have problems. :P

Offline lady5280

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 16:09:13 pm »
So we decided to just keep using cloth diapers at night. Even though they feel more wet than disposables, he doesn't seem to mind too much. And it certainly beats changing his entire outfit due to a leak!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 16:49:20 pm »
You can get boosters for cloth ones and I think hemp ones are extra absorbant - you can also get fleece overtrousers that are good as I think they draw the moisture away from the skin more (as you can see I don't have the full facts - maybe check out the thread for someone with more knowledge ::) )http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=218705.0
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline okinawamama

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 17:29:44 pm »
we do a disposable at night with a cloth diaper cover over the disposable. It keeps the leaks contained.
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 17:37:41 pm »
You have gotten lots of suggestions....we always did a size bigger at night than his daytime size. Pampers work here.....and we position his equipment down at nighttime!
Melissa