Author Topic: 10,5 months old waking at night and standing up crying in the crib  (Read 6689 times)

Offline brazylia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My DS has slept throught the night since he was about 2 mo (with occasional teething/too hot nights wakings) but now as he can stand up by himself he would wake up screaming at night and stand up or vice versa. When put down - he would stand up again or if held down so that he wouldn't stand up, he screams his lungs out for 2-5 min, calms down but then takes ages to fall asleep (or if I think he has and try to leave his room, he would start crying again).

How to tackle this problem? I am tired of spending 1-1,5h waiting for him to fall asleep in the middle of the night (not every night thankfully, but still...)

His EASY is like this:
7 wake up and BF
8-8.30 breakfast
A
10.30-11 sleep (0,5h-1,10h)
12.30-1 lunch
A
3.30-4 BF and sleep (0,5h-1,10h)
A
6 dinner
7 bath
7.30 BF and sleep

Should I do PU/PD every time he stands up till he gets tired and understands there's no point? Should I talk to him or remain silent?
Sometimes I tend to think that he has bad dreams and needs to be held (esp. after an eventful day) or it could be separation anxiety and wouldn't it be cruel not to comfort him?

Thank you for your advice.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 21:36:09 pm by Bex09 »

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: 10,5 months old waking at night and standing up crying in the crib
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 22:25:45 pm »
Hi there, how does your DS fall asleep? Does he have any props? Is he only having 2 1h10 naps at best? I wonder if he is a little OT, when do the NW tend to happen? Before or after midnight or both?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:34:35 am »
Hi!

During the day he falls asleep after crying and protesting (which started around the time he started standing up) so I hold him down... in the evening usually at my breast or if awake - in his crib but with me present. He hold on and chews his blankie.
Yes, only 2 naps but 1h10 at best really, usually 30-45 min one and the other one longer or both short.
NW after midnight. But he sometimes screams a bit between 8-10pm but goes back to sleep.
I have a feeling he may be OT as he wakes crying from his short day naps... but I can't get him to nap longer either!

Please help if you have any ideas.

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 22:15:47 pm »
At this age with PU/PD you really only PD when your DS stands up and don't do the PU part. How long has the pulling up been going on? Is it a recent development?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 13:58:41 pm »
Hi!
Yes, it's a recent development, going on for 2 weeks maybe (just when he learnt to stand up).
I've been doing PD for every nap and NW for 2 days now and it's not easy... sometimes he goes back to sleep after 2-3 PD and sometimes it takes 20-30min of standing up and PD and screaming...
I don't understand why he keeps standing up and crying before his nap when just before being put to his crib he was peaceful and drowsy and humming his mantra... and then the tantrum begins (I try to wind him down properly and rule out everything that may distract him)
I guess I just need to be consistent with him...
any other thoughts?
I think I also need to change the length of his day naps, as the second nap is almost always longer than the first one, but how? If he wakes happy from his first nap? (if he wakes crying after 30min I do PD).
THANKS A LOT!

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 22:51:01 pm »
Ok so part of this could be developmental because he has learnt this new skill of pulling up, so give him loads of chance in the day to pull up on things and the cot, maybe when you put his washing away or something else in his room.

Also does he tend to take a 30 min nap after a longer A time? Looking at your routine I notice the am nap is between 10.30 and 11. So I wondered if you got a shorter nap if it is at 11 rather than 10.30? If so he is probably OT by then, causing the 30 min nap. Also if that second nap starts at 4 and lasts 1h 10 then DS goes to bed for 7.30 that is a really short A time and he could well be UT, causing the pulling up and reluctance to sleep. If your DS short naps do you reduce the next A time to make up for that? Let's see if we can tweak your routine a little hey and get those naps sorted first?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 07:10:14 am »
Hey, I agree with you and I moved the naps earlier a bit (3 days ago) the first - at 10.30 (or a bit later if he woke later than 7am) and he slept 1-1.10h and the second around 2.45-3.30 (and he slept 1-1.30h), I can see improvement, but still the second nap is longer and I don't let him sleep past 5 pm. How to make him sleep longer before midday? I also noticed that he's sleepy when we go for a walk after lunch around 1-1.30pm and would fall asleep in the stroller if I let him (which he sometimes did if on a longer walk... ???) This also puzzles me as I like long walks and have to keep him awake and then when we come home he seems fully awake and ready to play and so the A is extended... That's why I thought he needs first nap to be longer?
If DS short naps I try to reduce the next A time but sometimes it's impossible due to other arrangements...
NW much better I think - last night just one (around 1am) and DH put him down and he went back to sleep immediately!

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 21:38:53 pm »
Hi that is great that the naps have extended a little and that the NW have improved too. Has your DS ever slept for longer than 1h 10?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:24:37 am »
Hi, yesterday naps were a nightmare... 45min of PD and only 30min sleep and woke up crying, tried PD for 20min and nothing, he wanted to play... the second one not better. In the evening DS was OK and slept till 1.30 am, stood up crying, DH put him down but DS held him hostage for 1h (apparently he sat up and didn't cry but rocked a bit as if about to drop to sleep...). This is another problem I guess, he protests if we want to leave his room. I tried moving farther from his crib little by little.
Yes, he sometimes  (rather seldom) slept 1,30-2h (esp. after swimming pool visit), I even tried putting him down later - around 12, but didn't get longer sleep at all.
It's Xmas coming and a bit of travel/visits so I'm afraid his EASY will be ruined anyway. We'll see.

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 21:32:28 pm »
Oh hun sleep can be such a pain when you have a LO that just doesn't play ball I know. :( The 30 min nap sounds like OT to me, probably because the PU/PD meant that he took a while to settle to sleep. Have you tried starting putting him down say 15 mins earlier, knowing that it will take him a while to settle?

Was there anything different about yesterday that could have caused these bad naps? Were A times longer, shorter, etc?

Offline Elizabeth410

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Sebastien
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 00:51:57 am »
Hello brazylia. Our dd is doing the exact same thing. She is going to be 11 months in a few days, and has started standing up before naps (so much that some times we just give up trying and get her up!) and has started standing up at night, so I have to hold her down, because when I let her get up repeatedly it seems to wake her up even more. Last night she was awake from 4:10 to 5:20, and I was holding her down the whole time. Quite frustrating. I'm also looking for tips! I just wanted to let you know you're not alone ;) and I'll be checking your thread to see if anything seems to work! Of course if anything works for us, I'll let you know. Good luck!! xx

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 07:37:11 am »
Hi Elizabeth410,

thanks for telling me and am really sorry for you too...
well, it seems a bit better one day with our DS and again worse the other. Two days ago he went down for his naps great, no crying, standing up or even tossing and turning and slept 1.20h. I shortened his A time a bit (3-3.15h) and wind him down way before the naps. NW also better (just one short around 1-2 am or none at all ) but... he started EW!!! He wakes somewhere between 4.30-6 am and seems really hungry! I BF him in our bed as PD or holding down doesn't work, he goes back to sleep till 7-7.30 but does not want any BF then... I plan to do something about it because I sleep terrible with him in our bed and he also wakes in between crying... and I know it's a terrible habit. But what to do?
what is your DD EASY?

Offline Elizabeth410

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Sebastien
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 03:48:12 am »
Hello Brazylia,

With our first child we followed EASY religiously and things went really well, I must say. Our son is now 5 years old. But with our daughter, we've not been doing EASY since she started daycare about two months ago. We try to be as consistent as possible with naps and eating. And we do try to keep everything calm for one hour or more before naps or bedtime. So to answer your question, our day more or less looks like this:

Wake up anywhere between 6 to 7:30 am
Breakfast 30 minutes later
Snack mid morning
Lunch 11:00
Nap 12:00 - Sometimes for 30 mins, other times 1hour, or 1,5 hours, or 2 hours. If she has a short nap, she sometimes goes back to sleep with some shush/rub. To get her to sleep we often need to keep a gentle hand on her back (so she won't get up) and shush.
Supper at 5 (on daycare days it's at 6;15)
Bed at 7:30.
Our winddown consists of going around the house saying goodnight to the rooms, then change diaper, read a book and sing a lullaby. Luckily, she usually goes to sleep with very little fussing at bedtime. I wish I could say the same for naps.

I used to breastfeed her in bed in the morning, and like your ds, she used to go back to sleep (most of the time). But then she started not being able to drink without her teeth getting in the way. I tried for several weeks, but it was just too painful, so I stopped breastfeeding. Now when she wakes up after 6, I just get her up. Before 6, we do PD and shush to get her back to sleep. It often takes 1 hour - but she does go back to sleep. I usually end up getting her up to give her a sip of water and we sit on the couch with a very dim light for about 15 minutes. After this she's usually ready to go back to bed. I make a point of not giving her formula in the night - of fear she might get used to it.

Did you change his bedtime? Sometimes when we put her to bed earlier she seems to have a better night sleep, and she even sleeps longer sometimes. When we put her to bed later, if often backfires.

We've also noticed that if she laughs a lot anywhere after 4pm, it seems to overstimulate her and she wakes up more often in the night. So now we try not to make her laugh too much during the day, which is sad I know, but we keep the giggles for the morning and early afternoon ;)

Of course I would recommend trying to cut out the 4:30 feedings (or anytime before getting up time), by trying to give him more during the day - maybe even a small cluster feed before bed.

Good luck and keep me posted!

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 14:14:47 pm »
Hey Elizabeth,

so your dd only has one nap during the day? I suppose it's because of the daycare? My ds naps better now and goes down nicely (last 2 days at least, hope for more) no standing up, but I guess shorter A time works for him better and he is pretty sleepy when I hold him on my lap and quietly read to him, also started giving him his blankie at this point and I think he likes it). Two nights ago no NW and woke up around 7. Last night not so lucky, he screamed a bit before midnight and then around 1 am, then woke up screaming at 4 and only fell asleep after 40min but I think he was terrified of something and PD didn't work, just holding... didn't feed him or take him to bed with me. He sometimes has bad gas during these NW - maybe this is the reason he wakes up in the first place?
I also noticed that he takes less milk during morning BF (just one breast or even less) and either falls asleep (and later doesn't want BF anymore) or sprangs up immediately ready for play... but the problem is that he also doesn't seem hungry during breakfast or grew so picky that will eat only fruit... so I delay the breakfast hoping he'll get hungry but it's not always so... Any idea why is that?
You're right that he sleeps better when asleep before 7.30 pm - should try to aim for that more often...
How is your dd now?

Happy New Year!

Offline Elizabeth410

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Sebastien
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 14:53:20 pm »
Happy new Year!!

She was down to one nap because we had been unable to get her to sleep in the morning. But lately she's been looking tired in the morning so she had a morning nap three days in a row :)

I don't have any ideas about the not seeming hungry at breakfast. I know our dd has days where she eats less, but that's about it. Have you looked at the feeding threads? You'll probably find good tips and advice in there.

So dd slept well for two nights, with the occasional fuss, but last night she was up from 5:45 to 6:25. But at least she didn't cry. She was only awake and stirring, while I was shushing and had a hand on her back. So it wasn't so bad. All phases pass, thank goodness!

How is your ds sleeping and eating these days?