Author Topic: Switching for 3 to 4 hourly?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Kittenaimz

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 19, 2011, 20:08:21 pm »
Hi, my baby boy is 4 months old and I've been feeding 3 hourly and maintaining an activity after feeding but his naps are not long enough and I've decided to tackle this using pu/pd.
My question is should I switch him to 4 hourly before I do this?
He was a big baby at birth (9lb8) and has been fine on 3 hourly feeds sin e 4 weeks old, however he is lactose intolerant and due to this is not a fan of milk (he is on lactose free milk) he doesn't take much milk and is barely gaining weight.
I'm worried if I switch to 4 hourly that his weight will be effected again (he went 4 weeks without gaining anything, and in fact lost a few oz). He can take bigger bottles he often only takes 3oz or so, but still goes the 3 hours no problem.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Switching for 3 to 4 hourly?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 21:59:15 pm »
It's a tricky one really - he may need the more frequent feeds because he is taking less or stretching him out may encourage him to take better feeds. He could be snacking a bit on 3 hours, taking enough to get by but not really getting hungry enough to take a good feed.

Does he have any reflux symptoms at all? http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0.

You could try stretching him out gradually and see hoe he goes - so 3 hours 15 between feeds for a few days, then 3.5 hours etc until you get to 4 hours.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline Kittenaimz

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:45:57 am »
Thanks for the reply. When he was newborn he only went 1-1.5 hours between feeds and we slowly increased him to 3 hours. He was taking 7oz at bedtime (6pm) and going thru til 2am then feeding and going thru til morning (5am, yawn), dreamfeeding didn't work with him, he'd only take an oz and then still wake at 2/3am for his normal full bottle. I may try creeping him out to 4 hours, but keep an eye on his weight.

He is very unsettled over night, waking for no apparent reason and resettling with the dummy. Our plan is to use pu/pd to get rid of the dummy and hopefully solve the waking. I'm not sure it will work as I know he settles without the dummy sometimes and will still wake in the night for no reason.

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Switching for 3 to 4 hourly?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 20:41:34 pm »
He is very unsettled over night, waking for no apparent reason and resettling with the dummy. Our plan is to use pu/pd to get rid of the dummy and hopefully solve the waking. I'm not sure it will work as I know he settles without the dummy sometimes and will still wake in the night for no reason.

This combined with the small amounts of milk he is taking make me almost certain that reflux is at play hun.  Refluxers use a dummy to calm the acid as well as small, frequent feedings...

Until you can be sure he does not have reflux, do not use PUPD.  As well, a dummy is now recommended for SIDS prevention until 6 months of age.