Author Topic: Help for frustrated 7-month old  (Read 4741 times)

Offline JBmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:13:14 am »
My 7.5-month old has recently started showing signs of frustration and sometimes throwing mini temper tantrums (whining, crying, kicking feet, arching back) when he is sitting for any length of time.  At first, we thought he might be OT or OS because of the frantic lead-up to the holidays but we have now had a few quiet days at home with no change.  He has also recently started to get much more adventurous and trying to pull up and walk on things and is also attempting to crawl.  At first, he was happy as long as I stood him up and gave him something to hold onto and attempt to walk along or gave him something to try to climb on but this week he has started to get frustrated with that as well.  At this point, he is really only happy if he is walking holding our hands.  We have tried giving him new toys, moving him to new places to play, etc to see if it was boredom but that only works every once in a while.   

I suspect that his frustration comes from wanting so badly to walk but not quite having the skills yet but it is getting pretty hard to hear the fussing all day and it is not really possible to keep him walking around all day :)  I am hoping for some suggestions from someone who has been through this or at least some support to know that this is hopefully just a phase?       

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Help for frustrated 7-month old
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 03:51:30 am »
Would he like a walker with wheels on it so he can move himself about?

Or a doorway jumper???

Offline roimata9

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:14:18 am »
I'd love to get some advice for this, my 8.5 month old is at a similar stage. He's funny with his movement, he can roll from back to tummy, but always in one direction and never rolls from tummy to back (he's done it a couple of times so I know he can though, he just doesn't). He can't crawl, but can go from lying on his tummy to sitting up and will go up onto his hands and feet from his tummy and jump up and down with his hands still on the ground. He can pull himself up onto some things but he has to be the right distance away and they have to be the right height, and he can lower himself back to sitting when he's standing.
His main issue is he loves balls and blocks, but he tends to knock them out of his reach and then has a tantrum because he can't get to it.
I'm desperate for him to start crawling so the whining and tanties can stop! At the moment, I hold his feet and press them down onto the floor to try and give him the idea to push with his feet which he can do against a vertical surface but not against the floor. Usually he tries that, then ends up face planted on the floor crying, so I pick him up, give him a cuddle and when he calms down, I put him back in the same place or slightly closer, but so he still has to work to get to the toy. Then we repeat the process.
Any ideas for how to help him? Please???

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:51:46 am »
Hi ladies, My guy is at the same age pretty much and can also get really frustrated! He had a little bruise n his forhead for a while after a particularly bad face/ head plant!!

Here's a link for a sticky on encouraging crawling you might like- The physiotherapists generally say its important for kids to crawl for as long as possible for shoulder development and coordination... have a look- it might have some new ideas!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=71756.0
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!