Author Topic: infatrini ready mades and steralising?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline buttonbaby

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« on: January 01, 2012, 20:28:44 pm »
DS is in on high cal infatrini for weight gain. He is only 9 mths but drinks little and it looks like he will for a while so it is very likely he will still be on it after 1. Heard bottles are to be sterilized once baby is still on formula and they usually change after 1 so Just wondering if anyone who used it knows if bottles still need to be sterilized when using this formula as it is in ready made cartons only, just wondering when ds does come to one if I need to keep sterilising?
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: infatrini ready mades and steralising?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 21:36:29 pm »
I think this depends on your comfort levels. There are mums here who haven't sterilised at all since their babies were born. My HV told me that you should really sterilise bottles and teats for as long as you are using formula - milk deposits can breed nasty bugs (which aren't the same as picking up a virus or germs off toys/ the floor/ the dog :P) which can cause nasty upset tummies. We stopped sterilising bottles and teats at just over 1 when we were down to bedtime bottles only, I always felt more comfortable sterilising and it really didn't take long.

Laura

Offline buttonbaby

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 22:25:36 pm »
Hey Laura.. .thanks. with dd I switched to regular milk at 1 and steralised u ntil then as aware of the bugs infant formula can breath. ....was wondering if the same  bugs exist with ready mades ? I don't mind stetalising at all but dp is dying for when ds is one and the steraliser is gone and just realised tonight if he head to keep using this formula after 1 we may have to sterilize longer...dp wont like this news :)
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 04:44:34 am »
Ready made formula is sterile so you should be fine to just wash in hot, soapy water ;)

I am one of those terrible mums that didn't sterilize bottles/teats ;)  I fill my sink with crazy hot water (my tank is set to 140) and let the bottles/teats soak for at least 30 mins with soapy water... then I wash and air dry.

Canada only suggests sterilizing/boiling water if you have questionable water source... that said, I boiled water for formula (I use concentrate) until DD was 5 months old... we do have great city water, but things do happen.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:50:16 am »
As Kara said, the ready made is different to the powder - it's the teats and bottles you need to watch as well, make sure you scrub them well if you aren't going to sterilise! I still sterilise now, DD's dummies and flip top cups (she has milk in them) get a soak in Milton every now and then just because even with good washing they get a bit grungy and we don't have a dishwasher or I'd use that!

Laura

Offline buttonbaby

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 21:28:09 pm »
Thanks to you both for the advice, will keep steralising up for a while but good to know about ready mades being sterile!
Hello from Ireland!
Fiona

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 21:38:47 pm »
I put sippy's in the dishwasher :)