Author Topic: Could MPI actually be lactose intolerance?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline lesliemarie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
Could MPI actually be lactose intolerance?
« on: January 03, 2012, 20:35:10 pm »
DD2 is almost 15 months old.  She was deemed MSPI at 5 weeks.  By 9 months I was able to introduce a soy formula and she was OK with it.  I had originally wondered if it was a lactose intolerance because DHs sister has quite a bad lactose intolerance and DH had when he was a baby as well.  When I asked the pead about it he said it was very rare and with DD2's severe reflux I was afraid to try.  I'm really now wondering if it could be since DD1 is now showing signs that she is lactose intolerant as well.  She has been sick off and on since September so I haven't been able to test out my theory.  While I wait for an appropriate time to try I wanted to see if anyone else has had a LO with an actual lactose intolerance rather than MPI.  I'm curious to know what I should be looking for when doing the trial.  She has had soft stool since early October when she started with the off and on sicknesses so I know I can't look for that.
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Could MPI actually be lactose intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 18:26:43 pm »
Hi, I agree with the doc that lactose intolerance is rare but if it is in your family then I guess that would raise the chances of your LO having it? I really don't know much more than that about it. Sorryx

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 21:08:54 pm »
Well lactose intolerance is very easy to check for with a stool sample - GP would probably run a test since you have a family history.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 21:16:51 pm »
Well lactose intolerance is very easy to check for with a stool sample - GP would probably run a test since you have a family history.
The only problem (according to dr google) is the sample needs analysed really quickly which I don't think can happen if it goes away to a lab somewhere .... m's dietician said most diagnosis is
done by symptoms (but this may have been about generally dairy/milk issues)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline lesliemarie

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 16:47:08 pm »
Hmmm.  Well I guess the best way to tell for DD2 is to do her dairy trial with lactose free milk.  If she still has a reaction then I guess it is the protein.  I really wish there was a way to just know for sure without all this trial and error  :-\
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 16:04:36 pm »
yes, def worth doing - the good thing about a trial like this is there are no needles etc involved ...
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!