Author Topic: Do you think this could have caused DD's eczema?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Do you think this could have caused DD's eczema?
« on: January 04, 2012, 20:09:15 pm »
DD has come up in little patches of eczema in the last week or so. The only thing I can think is that I have given her her cereal a couple of times with real milk rather than formula. We use goats milk so that is what I used. She has formula and seems ok with that so could it be goats milk causes a reaction like this?

I feel bad for her. I know as a drink they cannot have real milk before one but I thought in cooking was ok. Thinking about it though this was not really in cooking and was probably quite a bit.

It is all I can think of that has started recently apart from probiotics and they are dairy free.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Do you think this could have caused DD's eczema?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 22:36:20 pm »
It could be but if she is on standard formula that contains milk proteins I guess it would unlikely? I would take the goats milk out and then see if the eczema clears up (sods law it will). Then add a bit of goat's milk back in and watch for a reaction.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:19:46 pm »
my HV said the same. She said it is more likely to be a reaction to either the antibiotics she took recently or teething. Poor lo :(

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 19:15:54 pm »
seems bad tonight....don't know what to do.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 02:27:57 am »
If she's had to be on antibiotics recently, those can kill off a lot of her good gut flora which can definitely cause imbalances in her gut, thus resulting in eczema. Teething can also hamper the immune system (the majority of which is found in the gut) so I would suspect it's all coming into play.

The probiotics she's taking will be crutial in restablishing the good flora. What brand and what dose is she taking?  I would consider upping her probiotics a touch for a more therapeutic dose.

Also, have you considered giving her some homemade bone broth to help heal her tummy?  We are following a particular dietary plan to help heal the gut lining and the goal is to eventually heal intolerances as well. Here's the basics on meat stock: "Meat and fish stocks provide building blocks for the rapidly growing cells of the gut lining and they have a soothing effect on any areas of inflammation in the gut. That is why they aid digestion and have been known for centuries as healing folk remedies for the digestive tract. Do not use commercially available soup stock granules or bouillon cubes, they are highly processed and are full of detrimental ingredients. Chicken stock is particularly gentle on the stomach and is very good to start from. To make good meat stock you need joints, bones, a piece of meat on the bone, a whole chicken, giblets from chicken, goose or duck, whole pigeons, pheasants or other inexpensive meats. It is essential to use bones and joints, as they provide the healing substances, not so much the muscle meats. Ask the butcher to cut in half the large tubular bones, so you can get the bone marrow out of them after cooking. Put the bones, joints and meats into a large pan and fill it up with water, add natural unprocessed salt to your taste at the beginning of cooking and about a teaspoon of black peppercorns, roughly crushed. Bring to boil, cover and simmer on a low heat for 2,5 - 3 hours."

Remove the bones, leave in all of the fat that accumulates in the broth. The fat is a very important healing property.  You can give it to baby in a cup or bottle, even mix it with BM/FF. My little guy likes it best if I give it to him with a medicine syringe. LOL!  It really is a healing food though! :D

For the external itch of eczema, you could try putting some pure, organic coconut oil on it.  Coconut oil is very high in lauric acid (the same healing compound found in breast milk)  I put Coconut Oil on DS2's rashes and it seems to really help.

Besides that, epsom salt baths can help the external component of eczema as well. Be sure to use at least 1-2 cups in a full warm bath. Let soak for approx 20 minutes if possible.  No soap. Epsom salts help to restore the natural PH of the skin so it can heal.

((hugs)) hope it gets better soon.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 13:31:37 pm »
thanks for the detailed advice Rebecca.
I took M to a naturopath in the week and she tested for a few foods. The ones that came back as potential problems were rice, cinnamon and her formula. When she tested for milk she seemed fine so I guess it is something else that is in the formula - maybe whey? She treated her for it anyway (NAET) and we go back in 2 weeks.
The probiotics are Biocare and were recommended by my homeopath.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 13:34:40 pm »
HI Becky, how is the eczema now? Did you eliminate anything in the end?

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 12:23:12 pm »
it is much better. we did eliminate but then after seeing the naturopath we are just avoiding cinnamon and rice as they came up as triggers.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »
So pleased it is better, one thing less to worry about x