Author Topic: Formula feeding on EASY  (Read 921 times)

Offline mummylouisa

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 09, 2012, 17:43:37 pm »
Hi I breastfed my 1st son and used the 3 hour easy routine.

With my 7 week old I am formula feeding and I wonder how this fits in with easy as the box says he should have 5 feeds a day but on easy it would be 8 feeds.

I am trying to do easy but he currently feeds every 4 hours and only has 20 min naps. Thinking of giving him 3 hourly feeds and try and increase nap times so I can work to 3 hours.

What do other bottle feeders do?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Formula feeding on EASY
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 18:23:11 pm »
If EASY is being followed then 3 hour feeds are right for birth to about 4 months. Don't worry about what the box says, be guided by your baby's cues!

We followed a 3 hour EASY until about 3 ish months, but I had 2 refluxers so they needed 4 hour feeds at that point. Formula fed babies do sometimes need a 4 hour feed cycle before breastfed babies as formula takes longer to digest than breastmilk.

I would try the 3 hour feeds and see if you can get naps better, at 7 weeks the A time should be about 1 hour or a fraction over and A time is awake time (eyes open to eyes shut) and includes feeding time.

HTH!

Laura

Offline mummylouisa

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 19:26:28 pm »
Thanks Laura for your reply. Will go back to 3 hour feeds to try and get back on easy. Just wish I could get him to nap. He is so tired he is constantly grouchy (which leaves me grouchy) have tried to vary the a time but still can't get him to nap for long.