Author Topic: Possible reaction to cow's milk intro??  (Read 1579 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Possible reaction to cow's milk intro??
« on: January 10, 2012, 20:48:02 pm »
DD is 14 months today and has finally been consistently good with solids so I am starting to transition to cow's milk (whole of course).  We are three days in.... she won't drink it from a sippy (tried warm, cold the whole bit)... tried mixing with formula - nope.

So I have been adding it to her bottles (she has 2 per day - 6 ozs at nap and 9 at BT).  For her nap today, I did 4 ozs formula and 2 ozs milk and she was gagging after the bottle and I seriously thought she might throw up... she hasn't but she is extremely unsettled... she has been in her crib for an hour now and has only dozed... keeps waking and crying/fussing and then resettling every few minutes...

Could it just be the change or does this sound more like an issue with the milk itself?  DH had a huge sensitivity to milk as a kid... but I think his reaction was more along the lines of an asthma trigger... have messaged him at work to clarify though!

tigerlilly905

Re: Possible reaction to cow's milk intro??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 00:39:20 am »
It does sound to me like it could be a sensitivity to the cows milk.

Have you tried whole Goats milk instead? Goats milk protein can be much easier to digest, as the composition of the protein in goats milk is closer to that of human milk.  Loblaws, Superstore, Independent ect. carry Whole Goats Milk. The brand is by Liberte and its usually found in the natural/organic aisle. Could be worth a shot.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 14:04:26 pm »
I'd say given the family history it's a strong possibility!

Would you be ok to wait until she's 18mo then try again? Formula has more vits etc. than cows milk anyway so I think it's better to keep her on it for a bit longer.

DS is MPI so we'll be doing a dairy trial at 18mo too  :) He is tolerating goats yoghurt and cheese ok, haven't tried milk yet, but that's a good sign!

DH is MPI and can't even tolerate any goats milk products  :( He's ok on soya though  :-\

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 21:54:16 pm »
Thanks ladies! 

HH - I think I am going to do just what you suggest... will just keep her on formula for now and give it some time before trying again...

She does completely fine with yogurt/cheese so it really caught me off guard!