Author Topic: 13 month and just introduced yogurt... reacting?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
13 month and just introduced yogurt... reacting?
« on: January 11, 2012, 15:29:43 pm »
Hi all,
So my MSPI 13 month DS just tried yogurt for the first time to see if he can handle it. I am still nursing but my supply is really dropping so I starting to add coconut milk to his diet. I am hoping to transition to whole milk at 15 months so wanted to try yogurt first. He seemed to fine for the first 3 days. I was only giving him a very small amount and working up to a tablespoon or 2. Yesterday (4th day) he started getting a few red spots on is face (which isn't uncommon for him because he has pretty sensitive skin). They seem to be better today with some Aquaphor. But he has also started sniffling and now has a little cough. He JUST got over a bad cold with runny nose and cough. He is also teething big time so not sure if the spots and nose are related to teething.

Do you think it could be the dairy? I was thinking of quitting the yogurt for a few days and watching him. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Katie

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: 13 month and just introduced yogurt... reacting?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 19:29:06 pm »
I would stop the yogurt until your lo has got over his cold. I would also try and wait until he is not teething but understand this may be difficult as it can take a while. This way you would be easier to determine if dairy is a pass or a fail.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 19:42:38 pm »
Thanks Kelly. I was thinking the same but am a little bummed. I feel like he is always teething!  :)

Thanks for the response!
Katie

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 10:37:07 am »
ditto to PP.  It is soo hard to wait but you need to know for sure.  We had a fail with buffalo yoghurt at 1 year old, but it took 6 weeks to work out as his symptoms were long NW's.  It wasn't until we added 20ML of goat milk that the intensity and irritability fo the wakings upped a notch, and some red spots appeared around his cheeks and would not go away.... then we finally figured out it was the dairy!

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 15:25:08 pm »
Red spots on the face are so hard to tell if they are from dairy or teething? It has been 2 weeks now since DS has been off the yogurt and he still has 2 red spots on his face. They started about 3 days into dairy but not sure if from teething. He just got one tooth and I think the molars are coming since I see some massive mounds forming back there!

EloysH - did you try dairy again or is he totally dairy free?
Katie

Offline EloysH

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 02:09:47 am »
I tried butter again and had constant colds and running nose for about 6 weeks,  one cold would run into another especially with teething. I stopped the butter and he has not had a cold since and he has gotten 4 extra teeth without getting a cold or run down.  That was about 2-3 months ago now.

For sure, hard to tell when they are teething with the red spots... I still get confused... but now, he gets teeth without red spots on his cheeks since his diet has been clean of any irritants (irritants particular to him).

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 19:35:56 pm »
So do you consider him intolerant to allergic to dairy? Or not sure yet!?

We got one tooth this past weekend and I am pretty sure we have a few more still coming. Still tugging at ears and biting biting biting! These poor babes go through so much the first few years!
Katie

Offline EloysH

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:44:41 am »
He's not allergic as hes had both igE blood tests and skin prick tests for allergies and they have not turned up any dairy allergies. The fact that his reactions take a while to build up point to intolerance. I would hate to see what happends to him if I was to give him a big glass of cows milk *shudder*.     His igE levels were elevated but not enough for an allergy - but defninantly over active immune system. His skin pirck test showed a *near* wheat allergy with 3mm swelling for wheat.  It was not considered an allergy from this test... but i am glad he doesn't eat wheat as again it confirms in my mind that wheat is a no go zone for him.

The fact that he has other intolerances makes it easier to recognise that dairy is an issue, because it is usually the most common and severe out of all the intolerances. I expect he will out grow the dairy one last - if he does :)