Author Topic: Ow! Ow! OWW!  (Read 3288 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Ow! Ow! OWW!
« on: January 11, 2012, 18:31:57 pm »
My left nipple, man. I don't know what happened but it HURTS like crazy. It's not cracked or bleeding, but it looks kinda bruised and a bit raw round the areola. I think it just needs a REST, but I can't do that can I? I don't have nipple shields, and it hurts like crazy to express from it too. This has been going on days and days now, maybe a week, and it's not getting better because it doesn't get any chance to heal. I am using Lanisoh like crazy. Do you think I could rest it for 24-36 hrs and just hand express when it gets too uncomfortable? Is that a recipe for disaster?

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
Re: Ow! Ow! OWW!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 18:50:04 pm »
I had the same problem, but I didn't find a solution -  it got better as he got older. Could you try a warm or cold compress? Perhaps like those things you get that you keep in the fridge for when Los bump themselves?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 18:51:25 pm »
Did you just keep feeding from it? I seriously don't know if I can any more... I feel like it's more raw skin that bruising? Maybe I will try Arnica cream on it.

Offline clazzat

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 18:54:24 pm »
I did, although I came close to giving up bf'ing because it was so painful. I know that some of it with x was that he had a very lazy latch in the middle of the night, but I never figured out how to get him to do it right. I assume that you have checked latch?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 19:06:03 pm »
I'm latching on as well as I can but tbh we have both got lazy with it and can't seem to rectify it. But then, the latch is the same, presumably, on my right side and that side is fine.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 19:16:33 pm »
I had issues with one side early on and I did stop feeding for about 36 hours just to give it a rest and it was fine.  Did have to express a bit to relieve it but the rest really helped and never had issues with supply. 

Have you tried a different hold for that boob?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 19:17:40 pm »
Yeh I try football hold and lying down together but tbh it doesn't help  much.

Offline clazzat

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 19:43:33 pm »
It was definitely worse on one side than the other - I am fairly sure that he did find it easier to latch properly on the less painful side. I seem to recall that the excruciating pain died down a bit when I was being really attentive to his latch, although it did still hurt.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 22:37:46 pm »
On closer inspection with a good light, it looks like the skin is split, not on the end where the milk comes out but at the 'corner, of the flat pink part (same plane as breast) and where it starts sticking out to become nipple. No wonder it's so sore!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 22:41:51 pm »
Oh that must be aching.  I would rest it even for a few feeds.   No wonder its sore to pump too.

Offline Tay

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 20:34:43 pm »
Can you let your nipples 'air out' between feeds as well?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 20:45:24 pm »
I had this with Megan Anna - I had splits between the areola and the nipple on both sides and it HURT!!! I needed a perfect latch and used to cry before she latched on.

Have you heard of using calendula oil to help heal nipples?? It needs to be the pure stuff, but our midwives give it out here. It heals things faster as it soothes but allows them to be dry. Lanisoh is a wet healing environment and that can actually make it take longer to heal if it is actually split.

Calendula oil is safe for babies as well.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 20:55:55 pm »
Ooh interesting, I wonder where I can get calendula oil? I have the HV coming out tomorrow. She suggested putting breast milk on the split, but said I have to get it right IN the split. So I've been doing that. I still think the latch isn't good though b/c now I've noticed on my right nipple that after a feed the nipple is bright pink but the areola is blanched white. I'm sure that's not right? It feels fine to feed on that side though, no pain. I haven't rested the left side yet though, it was getting engorged and leaking in bed last night and I remembered mastitis and just fed from it anyway.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 21:45:28 pm »
I would guess either online or a natural health type place.

It is worth asking your HV about as well though as it was our regular NHS midwives that used to advise it and carry little bottles of it in their bags.

Sounds like the latch is too shallow  :-\, so there is a degree of nipple feeding going on really.

The main way to reduce the pain when I had those splits was to make sure her mouth was super wide and took a ton of areola in - but it used to feel like razors for those first few sucks otherwise. You have my total sympathy. It is agony.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 22:41:33 pm »
Yeh we have got really lazy with the latch. I try to get her to open wide but she just dives on like a barracuda and sucks the tip of the nipple in. HV coming out tomorrow I hope she will be able to help us because the local health centre isn't currently running a BF clinic, apparently!?  >:( >:( >:(