Author Topic: Dropping the dream feed  (Read 1273 times)

Offline speake

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:49:09 am »
Hi, my lo is almost 6 months. The dream feed has worked great for me. Lately though she has been coming awake as soon as I step in the door. I df her at 10 every night, I just can't stay up any later, too tired. Some nights she's even awake before I go in. I've started her on solids once in the morning and once at night, maybe an ounce each. This morning she only drank 3oz, she normally eats around 5oz, 6 if she's really hungry. Should I try dropping the df? She eats 5oz at the df and goes right back to sleep. She wakes a few times a night but just for me to put her sucky back in. If I do drop it, I've read that your supposed to do it a half hour early. Would 9:30 be too early as I feed her at 10. She goes to bed at 6:45 sometimes 7. We are transitioning from 3 naps to 2 so she's lucky if she makes it to 7. Thanks!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Dropping the dream feed
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:52:38 am »
You could try dropping it if you think it's having an impact on her first morning feed. Have a look at this link for some advice http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0

Laura

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:18:03 am »
we just dropped it cold turkey no probs... just wait till after the 6 month growth spurt.. That was our experience.. other babies need a more gradual fade out!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline speake

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 14:53:37 pm »
I gave her 4oz last night and she drained 6.5oz this morning! So I think I will keep trying that for awhile :) thanks for your help :D

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 19:42:20 pm »
Just wanted to say, my DS was always awake for the DF and went straight back to sleep no issues what-so-ever.  When it came to weaning it (so whenever you decide that is) I reduced the amount but left it at the same time of the evening.  Eventually I stopped offering it and also stopped going in the room at that time.  What this meant for me was I couldn't go to bed until much later (he was still in my room) which was a shame as I'd been looking forward to dropping the DF and getting some early nights!  He stirred at the DF time for a few nights but resettled quickly.  After another week or so I was able to walk in and out of the room without worrying about disturbing him.
Just thought this might give you confidence that it will be ok when the time comes even though your LO has been waking for the DF.