Author Topic: 13 month old with chronic constipation should I try NAET?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline mjohnson33

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
13 month old with chronic constipation should I try NAET?
« on: January 26, 2012, 18:04:15 pm »
I had a long thread on here recently about my DS who has had chronic constipation for most of his short life.  He has been on stool softeners all this time and recently saw a GI a few months ago that wanted to pump him full of more stool softeners and he almost ended up in the hospital he was so backed up.  Well I decided to see a natureopath doctor b/c I am not happy with him on all this medicine.  This new doctor started him on a probiotic, b-12 supplement and also suggested we eliminate all dairy and gluten.  Well its been a week and half and DS is greatly improved!! He is going poop every day at least 2-3 times a day and we have reduced his stool softeners from 3 times a day to 1.  My question is, do you think I should explore this NAET avenue with him or do you think I should continue with this same doctor?  He eventually wants to test DS for 30 common food intolerances.  I dont know what my next avenue is here.  Should I just wait and see how things go for a month or so before I decide?? Just asking for some opinions here.  :)  TIA!

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 13 month old with chronic constipation should I try NAET?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 18:08:03 pm »
Since things are going so well with this dr, I'd probably stay with it for awhile and see what happens. 

That is so awesome that he is doing so much better! 
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 18:17:17 pm »
Since things are going so well with this dr, I'd probably stay with it for awhile and see what happens. 

That is so awesome that he is doing so much better! 

I would have to agree with Kim on this -- and though I don't know a lot about NAET, don't you have to know what he's allergic to before going down that route?  It's great you have found a doc you're comfortable with!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 18:25:48 pm »
I'm with Kim and Erin. I know some people have had success with NAET but others have not and it can be really expensive. If you are having success with this doctor and comfortable with him I'd stay the course for now.

How does the doctor plan to test for food intolerances? Are they going to do an IgG test? Wait until he's 2 in any case so it's more accurate? He should explain though that if your LO is still off all dairy and gluten that the test would not be accurate - if a particular type of food is out of your system for too long you will test negative to it, even if it IS a problem - as your body won't be making the antibodies to show...

Glad he's feeling better!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 18:54:27 pm »
Thanks ladies!!!

This doctor says we will just keep traveling this course for a little while and leave him alone as long as he is making progress.  I think I am ok with him being on one stool softener a day.  That is way more realistic than the 3 large doses. 

Yeah, I thought that if he was off certain things he would test negative, so really it shouldnt be done now anyway.  He is only 13 months....am I supposed to keep him off the dairy and gluten until he turns 2?  WE havent discussed anything further.  I am not sure what avenue he wants to approach this from.  I think for now we are just trying to heal his little gut from all the trauma over the last 8 months. 

and though I don't know a lot about NAET, don't you have to know what he's allergic to before going down that route?
I think they actually test one intolerance at a time....so sounds like its a lengthy and expensive process like Mom to M&M mentioned.  :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 19:59:04 pm »
Ah, that makes sense then.  I know there are ladies on here who have done dairy trials after their LOs have been off of dairy, I'm sure if you started a post asking that you would get some good BTDT advice.  What a relief it must be to see some progress! :)