Author Topic: Anyone's toddler still on a bottle??  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 18:04:15 pm »
Awwww, is it really terrible that I am now wishing my 3y7mo still had a bottle!??!!   :P ::)  

He had his bedtime milk in a bottle until 20 months - we went away to visit my ILs for a week at that time and I was not carting bottles with us, so he had his milk in a sippy cup while we were there. New place, new sofa, new books, new person reading stories to him and he just seemed to accept new milk device as well. When we came home I handed him one of the sippy's from nanna's house and he took it without a fuss at all.   You'll just have to come visit me for a week Charl  :D

Mind you I did keep one of DS's bottles in my baking cupboard because the measurements on the side were so handy when other measuring jugs were dirty and he did find it regularly and beg for a drink in it. Probably until this summer - it would happen once every 4-5 months or so and then he would do it 5-6 times that week until he'd forget about it again!  He just really seemed to like it :)

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
Re: Anyone's toddler still on a bottle??
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 18:14:53 pm »
Lol well that's as good an excuse as any to come and see you Mashi ;D Well I tried her on a different cup and she held it and sucked her dummy and looked at me like I was mad, then screamed til I gave her the soft teat sippy ::) We're nowhere near ditching it!!!
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 18:16:51 pm »
Somehow missed all these other replies?!!! Back later kids in bath.
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 21:00:20 pm »
We're still having one at BT at 17.5months too Charli.  We brush teeth afterwards on way up to bed so maybe if you just switch that bit up then she'll be fine!  I can't see O dropping his anytime soon b/c he WILL not drink milk in anything but his bottle.xx

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 00:52:36 am »
I missed this Charlie and posted the exact same thing the other day. C will not drink milk at all if it isn't in a bottle! So I worry that if I drop the bottle then she just won't be drinking any milk. Need to swap teeth brushing to after milk though too.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 01:51:59 am »
DD hadn't had her own bottle since she was between 10 and 11 months, but then wanted to drink from one after DS was born LOL!!!!!!

I can also remember as a child ( a rather OLD child) that my grandmother kept one bottle for my sister and I each at her house and let us drink out of them there on occasion as a special treat. I guess bottles are really special for some reason. My bottle was shaped like an owl. I distinctly remember it. My sister's was smaller and blue. LOL

Offline matthewsmama

• Showing Appreciation 89
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 03:18:04 am »
My children have all stopped during their 3 years of age. My dr says it's fine as long as they don't carry it in their mouth. I wouldn't stress about it. Hugs.
Christie

Offline IzzyD's mom

• http://little(ruder word than poops that starts with 'sh') andgiggles.blogspot.com/
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 04:00:24 am »
My DD still has a bottle a bed time but the hole is sooo big it is practically a cup. If I give her milk in a cup it ends up all over the floor/ sofa, whereas she chugs the bottle in one go. I don't feel bad about it at all. I read somewhere that there is now more concern over non spill sippy cups as kids are having to suck so hard it messes with their jaw. DD has all other liquids from a cup and would forego a bottle if we really wanted her to but I like making sure she is getting a good supply of calcium everyday :) 

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 04:34:42 am »
I read somewhere that there is now more concern over non spill sippy cups as kids are having to suck so hard it messes with their jaw.

Hmmm, that is interesting!  I suppose it would depend on the brand of sippy as well... I know that DD's sippy is easier to suck milk from compared to her bottle.

DD has a BT bottle at 16 months too.. and one before her nap (although it's not a full one). 

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 19:58:50 pm »
 Just to share...when I offered dd a sippy (maybe 9 or 10 months old?) I was told by my sister to remove the little thingy that makes them have to suck iykwim. My sister told me that with that little thingee, she's have to suck really hard, and that it was exactly like a bottle that way. It made sense, and so that's what I did.

Also...I find it fascinating that thru this thread, the Moms with older kids (preschoolers and such) are all pretty much saying that it's no big deal to keep the bottle for a while longer.   :)  Makes me smile...the way that once your "baby" is no longer a "baby", none of that stuff seems to matter...and all of the stress we felt about it has vanished and we're like "Let him keep the bottle!!!"  Funny.   :)