Author Topic: 16 month old activities  (Read 2836 times)

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My gorgeous little girl
16 month old activities
« on: February 10, 2012, 22:35:08 pm »
I was just wondering what type of crafty activities you do with your LOs?
DD just tried playdough, drawing and painting at toddler group. Any suggestions on good brands/ sizes etc?
thanks

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 23:15:36 pm »
Rosa loves markers.  messy at times but she can't put enough pressure on crayons to see she is doing something.  I buy big rolls of paper from ikea and stick it to the floor or wall and let her batter on with paint too.  She also loves sticker books and will happily sit for ages while i peel them off and then she takes them and sticks them on a page. 

Offline stardust599

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 19:54:38 pm »
My 15 month old had lots of fun with paint today.

I bought some cheap kids water paint and a pack of a4 card.  Stipped LO down to her vest and then we went into the kitchen (door closed) and I laid out about 10 sheet of card on the floor and got a tray and put splodges of different coloured paint.  I gave LO a couple of spoons etc. to dip in it.  More of it went on the floor than card though!  I put it on LOs hands/feet and helped her stamp feetprints on the card and make handprints/wipe her hands on it and we put splodges of paint on the card and I helped LO rub it in.  It was great fun and now we have about 8 pictures to hand out to friends/family.  Afterwards my kitchen was covered in paint though - it took me an hour to scrub it off the floor/cupboards and fridge and half an hour to scrub LO in the bath!  Be warned she ate a few mouthfuls of paint though and then had a horrendous nappy about an hour later!

We also have some old containers - LO likes it when I fill one with pasta (dry, uncooked), one with water etc. and she likes to shake them etc.

Walks are great too.  I take her round the park without the pushchair and we stop and look at everything - grass, flowers, drains, sticks etc.  A 10minute walk takes an hour!

I'm going to try some "messy play" too with a container of cornflour and one of water and let LO pour and mix them to her hearts content.
Mummy to a beautiful girl born Nov 2010 - touchy baby now a touchy/spirited Toddler!

Baby boy born 2nd July 2012 - my very spirited little monkey with MSPI, GERD & dysphagia.  Here to help ask me anything :-)

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: 16 month old activities
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:20:30 am »
Not all crafty, but some ideas here:

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=70743.0

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:19:48 am »
Playing with stickers is a good one as well.

My DD loves to draw - at 18 mths I got her one of those magnetic drawing boards and she LOVES that. Mess free as well  ;).

She actually gets to do a lot of stuff as she does what my 3 year old is doing - another favourite is painting with glitter paint/glue. Especially if it has interesting glitter bits in. They do seasonal ones in hobby craft - like there was one with pumpkins in at Halloween - and she spends ages trying to get all the pumpkins off the brush and onto the paper  ;D. They did one with Christmas tress and one with snowflakes as well  :).

Play dough all she does is tear it up and put it in little pots!!

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My gorgeous little girl
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:41:23 pm »
Such great ideas! thank you.. we'll be trying all those things! I bought her some washable pens and she loved drawing but when she noticed that her hands and legs were full of pen she just kept on saying 'oh dear' over and over! it was really funny!