Author Topic: Mysterious prlonged NWs from a hysterical nearly 8 1/2 month old. Any ideas?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Dee_hnh

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hello!

In other posts I have on the forum I've alluded to these mysterious NWs that have suddenly appeared from about 5 days ago (and which are getting worse), but thought I'd post something about them and in more detail in case anyone might be able to shed some light on this as I can't figure it out and the whole family is totally knackered. 1hr sleep plus 5 minutes here and there is not a night! :(

He use to be very easy to resettle, and NWs were frequent but short. I've been slowly increasing DS's A times by 10 min increments every 3 days, or whenever he seems well adjusted to the new A time. This has had fantastic results on the number of NWs and even his ability to try to self-settle at bedtime. Oh, he has never ever slept through the night. His best has been a 6 hour stretch on two different nights. Never to be repeated again, but it gives me hope. :) But it seems just as he reached the 2hr45min A time, these wierd and long NWs began.

Basically, he wakes up screaming and is hysterical and although I am always able to settle, and I can't do it. It lasts too long to be night terrors (which has had a few times before) and I always let DH try to settle first before (trying to work on getting DS to accept his dad at night) I step in. DH was able to, but now he can't at all. I can manage eventually, but this is after 1 1/2-3 hours of trying. And  A LOT Of patting and humming. My arms are killing me.

I'm still breastfeeding but he hasn't wanted a night feed for nearly a month. I did wonder if it was hunger and tried feeding. Doesn't help, thought last night he did have a huge feed. And he did have a big poo in the middle of the night. But this hasn't happened the other nights. So I continue to be confused whether to feed or not when he wakes in hysterics.

At some points during the settling attempts, he seems to be trying to do it himself. E.g., singing to himself, refusing his dummy, hitting/swiping in the air or any material he can fine/throwing his lovely around (self-soothing behaviours. Not pleasant but seems to work for him). He wants to be patted quite vigoursly, but then other times seems to be annoyed with it. So wondering if it might be time to stop picking him up and just settle in the cot until he is seriously distressed. Also, could he possible be either OT or UT? Both would be frustrating in terms of his self-settling attempts.

And finally, he has stared his settling in period at the childminders as I got back to work in 2 weeks. This is going very well, but could he maybe be missing some of his "mummy time" and wanting some at night? Although when I picked him up last night he didn't calm down and I seemed to make him more upset (probably because wasn't giving him a feed). The only way he's been settling in cuddling tightly into me while I lay down on the bed and then when he is very relaxed and starting to fall asleep, put him in his cot. He'll whimper a bit, but I'll give him his dummy and lovely and pat his bum and he generally will quickly fall asleep. Probably as he's exhausted after being awake so long!

Anyway, sorry for serioulsy long post. I am beyond confused and upset that I can't figure this one out. So far I feel I've always been able to read DS so well. But failing miserably at the moment and everyone's sleep is being affected. Luckily, he wakes his usual cheeky happy chappy. :) It's the mummy who struggles to be happy lady when she's soo tired. *Lol*

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Have a read of this Hun..
http://www.thewonderweeks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=158. I think you may find your DS is in a developmental leap. If not then I suspect teething. Have you tried medicating at BT/or NW?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 21:33:14 pm by Bex09 »
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Dee_hnh

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I saw you refer to wonderweeks (which a friend of mine loves but I've never checked out yet) in someone else's post and had a look and discovered he probably was in one. He's a terrible teether and seems to feel every stage, even if not meant to be sore for him. I hadn't been given his homeopathic remedy as didn't think he needed it. Started again and maybe a coincidence but ta da...brilliant night last night. Slept one 6 hour stretch. His 3rd so far. Yyiippee!! He just stood unaided in the middle of the bathroom this evening so maybe his little brain was working out how to do that as well. Busy busy when you're a baby. Thanks for your suggestions. With any luck, we have a break from nightmare nights.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
HUGS, I hope you are through the worst. Some LOs do feel everything intensely, mine is like that, teeth, developmental milestones, joy and frustration...it can be tough, but its also very rewarding ;)

Good luck for tonight! :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.