Author Topic: 14 month old not interested in BT bottle for a while.  (Read 1312 times)

Offline meredith1851

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
14 month old not interested in BT bottle for a while.
« on: February 20, 2012, 20:12:21 pm »
My 14.5. mth old DS has not been taking much in his BT bottle for the past several months.  He LOVES the morning bottle and sucks about 6-7 oz down then, has cheese and yogurt during the day or at dinner, but is not overly interested in his BT bottle and usually only takes 2-3 oz at the most. Should I just offer some milk with his lunch and dinner in a sippy?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: 14 month old not interested in BT bottle for a while.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 20:39:20 pm »
You could do.  There's no reason really to offer the bedtime bottle unless they want it.  I did find though that my son did something similar at that age and it turned out to be teething.  He now loves his bedtime cup again.  I'm not sure what I would have done if we'd dropped it completely, perhaps just reinstate it?

Also it's worth remembering 2-3oz from a free flowing cup is more than half which I would think was fine.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 21:16:59 pm »
I'm not sure where you are meredith but in the UK it's recommended to drop bottles at 12 months any way.  Yes they still need their milk but not necessarily from a bottle.  I know lots of people continue much longer than 12 months though.
I stopped the BT bottle at 12 months because I wanted to move his milk to pre-teeth-brushing time so gave him a sippy of milk at dinner instead.  He took less milk in the sippy but totally lost interest in the BT bottle so now I offer him some water after teeth brushing time and he takes one or two sips.  I'm sure he gets plenty of dairy across the day from his morning milk and solids.
The way I see it, in the long run it's probably better not to have too big a drink just before bed, it maybe makes night dryness a little easier when the time comes.

Offline meredith1851

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 16:35:48 pm »
So last night I put 2-3 oz of milk is in sippy cup at dinner and he came close to finishing it by the time he went to bed.  I brushed his teeth, gave him a bath and then gave him a sip of H2O before putting him in his crib.  He screamed for 30 seconds and that was it so I think he was ok with not having the BT bottle.  He had his 7 oz bottle this morning and he always asks for that one when he wakes up so I don't think we will be getting rid of that one any time soon.
Should I give him milk in his sippy cup at lunch too instead of H2o to ensure he gets enough milk during the day or is the milk with dinner enough along with his cheese and yougurt intake during the day?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 20:40:18 pm »
Over 1yr they guidance is roughly half a pint, or 10oz or 300ml of milk or dairy solids.
7oz in the morning plus 2-3 in the sippy plus any in solids sounds like plenty to me. Butter, cream cheese, white sauces on pasta or chicken etc all count towards that intake.

Offline meredith1851

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 15:55:14 pm »
Hi again, so eventhough he has not had milk at BT, he is waking super early....like 5 AM and getting up 5:30/6 unless I give him some milk, Then he will go back to bed till 6:30/7. What do I do? I can't take him waking that early and clearly he is waking that early because he is hungry. I can't seem to find a solution. Should I go back to giving him some milk before bed? Maybe he really isn't ready to not have it.  HELP!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 05:22:07 am »
Try it and see. Some babies just wake early whatever you do though.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/