Author Topic: 1 week old won't stay awake to eat  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Catloops

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 22, 2012, 20:56:00 pm »
New DD is baby #3, but I don't remember the others being so hard to feed.  She has more of a AES pattern.  She has surprisingly long wakeful times (5-20 minutes), but as soon as she's on the breast, she's out like a light.  Most of the time, I can't get her to eat more than 5-10 minutes and I've tried all the suggestions for keeping her awake.  Then, she's either off to sleep for a while or wide awake five minutes later and crying to be fed.  It's draining what little energy I have to feed her constantly.  It's been four years since our last baby was born.  Did I just forget how hard it was? :)  Do I just need to be more patient at this point?? 

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Re: 1 week old won't stay awake to eat
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 21:04:41 pm »
Hugs sweetie and congrats on number 3! Yes it is v v normal for her to just want to fall asleep on the breast, have you tried stripping her down? As she is so so little I would roll with it, keep an eye on her nappies (plenty of wet and dirty) and feed on demand as you're still getting your supply going, and that is so important. My dd2 slept for 2 weeks when she was born, all the time! I was baffled that even with her "enforced" 3 hourly feeds (had to wake her for every one) that lasted 10 mins tops, she'd gained weight at 10 days old! I was honestly convinced she'd be admitted to hosp! Anyway, at 2 weeks old she got a lot livelier ;) Enjoy those newborn snuggles and just keep an eye on the bowel movements :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 22:22:49 pm »
Congratulations on #3 - haven't got anything much to add to what Charli's already said.
*** Amanda ***

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 00:00:51 am »
Congratulations!!  The advice I got for my DS was to feed him in his diaper, and if needed, rouse him with a wet washcloth. If even that didn't wake him, then I'd let him be though. Maybe also taking a diaper change break from the feed can help.

But he was losing weight so it was an issue for us, but as Charli said, if your DD is fine weight-wise, then I guess you can just go with the flow.
Elise

Offline Catloops

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 00:02:47 am »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm off to bed early as this seems to be the time when she sleeps longest at night.  Oh for an hour or two of uninterrupted sleep. :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 02:03:22 am »
This too shall pass....