Author Topic: NF is screwing up feedings for the day  (Read 1211 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
NF is screwing up feedings for the day
« on: March 27, 2012, 17:52:54 pm »
DS had been STTN for 2-3 weeks until he had a GS last week.  Now the GS seems over but he still wakes once for a NF (timing varies - 2:30 2 nights ago, 4 last night).  The he wakes for the day between 6 and 7 but I'm having trouble with his feeds all day since he's not that hungry.  This morning he got up around 7, and I fed him at 8:15 (before his nap), he only took 4 oz.  Then 2-3 hours later he's hungry so I fed him again, but he doesn't take a full feed since it's not been that long.  And that goes on and on.  How can I make this better?

This week-end (just after the GS), he was feeding ok every 4 hours but he still woke up for a NF - I'm very confused.

Also he seems to never take the same amount from a bottle, no matter if the feeds are all spaced out evenly in the day - it varies from 4 to 8 oz.  Is that normal?

Herre is his feeding schedule for the day: I know some feeds look close together (2 hrs) but I only feed when his huunger cues are strong and I can<t settle him otherwise (pacifier, changing activity, etc)

4AM 6oz
8AM 4 oz
10AM 5 oz
1PM 7 oz
4PM 6 oz
6:45 PM 7 oz

for a total of 35 oz
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 00:34:59 am by *Elise* »
Elise

Offline ENMS

Re: NF is screwing up feedings for the day
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 19:45:09 pm »
I just had a flash... globally he is still taking more oz than before (25 oz before, he took in 33 total yesterday).... could the GS still be going on? It's been about 1 week, I saw an improvement this week-end but now he seems to be hungry often again.
Elise

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:03:01 pm »
Have you tried offering a smaller bottle at his night waking and resettling? That may help, just enough to take the edge off his hunger and then he should take more at his wake up bottle.

Laura

Offline ENMS

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 12:47:59 pm »
Thanks Laura! Unfortunately he started a cold yesterday, so I'll have to wait a bit I think before I try that, for now, I'll just keep on feeding him as much as he wants for his NF's and then when he's better we'll work on reducing them!
Elise

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 17:11:23 pm »
Sounds fair to me!

Laura

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:31:56 am »
Laura, would you do 1oz at a time, and decrease it every day until there's none left? Or would you keep a minimum amount at his NF because he's still small?
Elise