Author Topic: Won't drink milk:(  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Won't drink milk:(
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:00:06 am »
Hi all,
My LO won't drink any milk from her sippy or little cup...she is now nearly 15months old and has been breastfed...never took a bottle....I am wanting to slowly wean her, she was on 2breasfeeds a day, one at wake up and one at BT. For the past three nights I haven't breastfed her at BT, in an attempt to drop that feed, I plan to keep the AM BF for avfew weeks longer....problem is she won't drink cows milk from her sippy or little cup at all and I'm worried about her calcium.

She has one toddler tub of yoghurt everyday and I try and give her cheese in some form throughout the day.   I'm just worried about her milk intake ??
Any one else have this problem? I'm worried that when I do drop the AM feed she won't have any drink of milk at all?
Thanks xx

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Won't drink milk:(
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 20:09:13 pm »
I wouldn't worry.  My son only took a bit to start with from the cup, now he happily drains it and would have more if I let him.

I'd persevere but I'd also include at least one main meal a day with milk as a sauce in the savoury bit, e.g. fish pie, cauliflower cheese, creamy pasta.  That way you're getting even more milk in.  If you then do a milky pudding (e.g. yoghurt, pannacotta, rice pudding) for tea and lunch, you're probably giving enough. 

Have you tried carefully giving some directly from the cup without the spout?  That sometimes worked for my son when he was first learning and you might find you can miss out the sippy stage.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 02:53:45 am »
Yeah she just sees the milk and screws up her face and pushes the cup away... Yesterday I tried to give her some banana smoothie during the day and a yoghurt and she still had a bfeed in the AM so I think she's fine...was just concerned about when I drop the AM feed too, I guess I'll just hv to be watchful of giving her milk in cooking and cheese and yogurt throughout the day.  Thanks for advice Lemonthyme xx

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:26:28 am »
My DS absolutely refused to move onto cows milk, he self weaned by 1.5yo.  I suggest adding more milk in weetbix in the morning (let is soak in a bit and add more), adding cheese as you have said. You could also give 2 yoghurts if you wish.  Smoothies are good too.
It must have been a good year or so before he drank milk on its own!
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8