Author Topic: Doesn't like alimentum  (Read 11720 times)

Offline ~Alexa~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 117
« on: April 02, 2012, 01:32:15 am »
Hi everyone! So after 8 months my lo has been diagnosed with milk allergy.  He is now drinking alimentum, but he barely drinks 12 oz a day.  I don't know what to do! It's so frustrating! I am really worried about his weight gain.  I don't know if I should offer more solids in order to substitute his milk intake.  I'm really confused! please help

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
Re: Doesn't like alimentum
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:40:15 am »
Hi Alexa! M also hated Alimentum he wanted nothing to do with it. Maybe you could try Nutramigen A+ which is pretty much the same but he might like the taste better? Otherwise you can mix it with whatever he was drinking before and keep increasing the amount of Alimentum until he gets used to it?

Are his symptoms better since he's drinking the alimentum?
Elise

Offline ~Alexa~

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 03:06:22 am »
Thanks Elise!! Sorry it took me a long time to get back to you! It's been a chaos!! My lo has been diagnosed with Renal Tubular Acidosis, it is under control now.  He is also allergic to corn and milk, which leaves me no options as for milk! It's sooo frustrating.  The doctor told me to give him neocate or elecare, but I just noticed that both of them contain corn!!!!!!!!! I have been trying to talk to the doctor with no success.  The taste is awful and Maurice doesn't want to drink it.  He is barely taking 10 oz of milk per day because I hide it in his cereal, but he doesn't want it!
Sorry for venting, but I feel like it is getting worse!

Offline ambula603

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 02:47:56 am »
Alexa - are you using Alimentum powder or the Ready to Feed liquid?  I ask because with my oldest daughter she wouldn't drink the powder and if I am not mistaken, I think it has some sort of corn product in it.  The RTF liquid is not as foul smelling and seemed to go down easier for her, and was corn free.  It is more expensive but less expensive than Neocate.  Might be worth a shot!

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 05:36:53 am »
I was able to get E to take Nutramigen by flavouring it with Strawberry Nesquick. I know that sounds insane, but it was recommended by Neocate when I called them. They do offer flavouring packets, and if you google neocate and your country you can give them a call for a sample pack. I needed it to be fixed right away so they suggested the Nesquick while we waited for the flavouring packets. I have no idea if there is anything in there your lo can't have but it contains neither dairy, nor soy, nor strawberries as my lo has intolerances to all three. I was able to wean her off of the flavour before the packets arrived in the mail and even now at age 25 months she loves the formula.

Have you tried warm/tepid/cold temps? I had to heat Nutramigen very warm and do some good skin to skin cuddles with E. I also fed to sleep as was her routine for a million reasons and I found the more sleepy she was, the more likely she would be to take a nice warm cuddle with a warm bubby.

Best of luck. The stuff really is gross, but they need it and I know it's hard.

Hugs
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline ~Alexa~

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 21:31:44 pm »
Thanks for the advice! The past couple of weeks have been really hard.  My lo only drinks 5 oz of milk a day.  He dropped the bedtime bottle. It was a big fight, he would cry nonstop, so I decided to stop fighting and changed his routine, so now he has dinner a bit later, just before his bath and then he goes to bed.  I know they still need the milk, but it was pointless. My lo cried a lot and he didn't even drink 1 oz. 
I'll take a look at the nesquick because in my country I can't get the RTF alimentum.

Hugs
Alexa

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 21:36:18 pm »
Where are you located Alexa?