Author Topic: Night Feeding  (Read 986 times)

Offline sandrawoodruff

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 04, 2012, 16:35:54 pm »
Hi, does anyone have any advice please? My 12 WO has been on 3 hour EASY since approx 5 weeks. She feeds 7am , 10am, 1pm, 4pm (I wake her to feed if she is asleep).  I try to cluster feed at 6pm but she is hardly ever interested, I offer her the bottle again just before bath at 7pm and then again just before bed, generally around 7.45pm to try and tank her up.  I am making up 4ozs of formula for each feed but I'd say only half of these get drained, often she will stop at 2ozs, although there doesnt appear to be a pattern to which feeds she wants less.

The dream feed is between 10.30-11.30pm depending on when I am going to bed but she can generally only manage 3ozs for a DF.

My questions are as follows:
1.  Should I try longer between feeds in the hope she will take more at each feed?  (On average she is tatking between 20-26 ozs in a 24 hour period).  If so is there an EASY schedule for this anywhere?
She can only stay awake about 90 mins before getting grumpy so think its too soon for 4 hour EASY?

She still wakes for a night feed every night, sometimes 1.30am but other times goes until 5am, when she wakes later (eg 5am) should I feed straight away or try and 'keep her going' until beginning of day?  If she feeds at 5 I need to wake her at 7 and she is not interested in the first feed of the day, thus throwing timings out?

finally, she seems to have been on 4oz feeds for ages, but I am loathe to offer her more if she drains a bottle as I know its likely she wont take the next one and I am throwing so much formula away as it is!!  At what age shoudl she taking larger feeds?

Does anyone have any advice please?

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Night Feeding
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 21:08:09 pm »
Hi hun... she isn't likely ready for a 4 hr eating routine yet although FF babies do move sooner than BF babies do.

I would offer 5 ozs in each bottle given that she does drain some of them... then i would try pushing her a little closer to 3 hrs 15 mins between feeds to see if that gets her taking a full feed (and saving some of the formula from the sink/drain).  She might be ready for a 3.5 hr EASY...

As for the clustering, I wouldn't worry about it anymore... just be sure that she has a full feed soon before going down for the night and then her DF a few hours later.