Author Topic: Dream Feed not being taken  (Read 2270 times)

Offline salpea

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Dream Feed not being taken
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:29:27 am »
Hi.  I am having problems with my DD2 not taking dream feed.  She is not a great eater anyway but I really struggle to get more than 2oz of dream feed in her.  I always found this feed an important one with DD1.  DD2 was 10lb 10oz born and was 12lb 5oz two weeks ago when last weighed, I just wonder if this is the reason she doesn't take much milk, do bigger babies store it better?  She is 9 weeks on Saturday.  She takes 4oz every 3 hours, 7,10,1,4,7.
Holly Jane

Milly Anne

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Dream Feed not being taken
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 21:01:52 pm »
Some babies are just not good dreamfeeders - I had two of them ::). That said, have you tried doing the feed a bit earlier or later to see if she will feed better in a different part of her sleep cycle?

Does she have any digestive issues like reflux?

Laura

Offline salpea

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 08:09:30 am »
No she doesn't have problems just never been a big drinker!  Done DF at various times as it depends on what time she settles.  Do you know if bigger babies get by on lesser amounts?  She has slept through the passed two nights, hoping it continues!
Holly Jane

Milly Anne

Offline Lolly

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:28:13 am »
Bigger babies shouldn't get by on lesser amounts, the theory is that they need 2-2.5oz of milk for every lb of body weight in 24 hours so a 12lb baby *should* be taking 24 - 30oz in 24 hours. Some do take a bit less and some do take a bit more you need to watch out that she has plenty of wet and dirty nappies, is gaining weight and is alert when she is awake to know she is getting enough. 

Are your health professionals happy with her weight gain? My DD was 8 lb11oz born and was 13lbs+ by 9 weeks and most babies seem to gain 0.5lb a week in the early weeks. Have you tried a faster teat to see if she will take more in a feed - 4oz is quite a small feed for a 9 week old, most would be on  6oz+ by now. Is she happy when she feeds and is she draining those 4oz bottles?

Laura

Offline salpea

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 19:22:26 pm »
She def has plenty of wet and dirty nappies and is alert when awake.  My HV said she won't take the same amounts for every feed like us not needing same calories in every meal.  She doesn't get weighed in clinic at the moment as she is in a Parvik harness she gets weighed on hospital visits when its taken off.  I would love her to have more but getting 4oz down her is a trial itself!  She doesn't drain bottles often at all, wasn't even hungry for her 7am feed today despite sleeping through and not taking more than an oz of the DF!  She is a real puzzle.
Holly Jane

Milly Anne

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 19:25:32 pm »
Does she feed calmy and happily or does she drink a couple of oz and then it's a fight to get her to take more? Your HV is right that she won't always take the same amount at each feed, but I would expect her to be hungry first thing if she hasn't had a nightfeed.

Laura

Offline salpea

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 06:59:08 am »
Yes it is sometimes a fight to get her to take the rest.
Holly Jane

Milly Anne

Offline Lolly

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 07:52:17 am »
Have a look at this link, poor feeds and fighting feeds can sometimes be a symptom of reflux - both my had silent reflux so a lot of discomfort/ pain but minimal spitting up/ vomiting http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

Is it possible she has silent reflux?

Laura

Offline salpea

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 13:35:53 pm »
Ican't see that she has to be honest looking at those symptoms.  She sleeps well and is a happy happy smiley baby.  Its just like she decides she's had enough and thats it.  I mentioned it to my doctor too who advised feeding every 2.5 hours but there is no way she would be ready every 2.5 hours!  I really am worried about the feeds.
Holly Jane

Milly Anne

Offline Lolly

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 14:16:47 pm »
Have you tried leaving a 3.5 hour gap to see if she takes more?  It's not ideal from an EASY point of view but bottle fed babies do often seem to need longer between feeds earlier than breastfed babies. What flow teat are you on? If you are still on a stage one I would try a 2 or a variflow (depending on your bottle type).

Laura

Offline salpea

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 15:47:47 pm »
Yes she's on vari flow.  If only they came with a manual these babies!
Holly Jane

Milly Anne