Author Topic: Breakfast ideas - GF DF and EF!  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Breakfast ideas - GF DF and EF!
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:30:55 am »
Olly has devoured a bowl of porridge every morning for the last 18 months which was fantastic as I knew he was getting the calories etc but for the last week or so he has refused it. We are finding now that he is snacking more and so affecting meal times so it is all going down the swanny!

I need to find some alternatives so we can at least have a break from porridge in case he is just bored with it.

He refuses GF rice crispies and I dont really want to give him toast as he has that for lunch most days and I would then be stuck for lunch ideas on his limited diet. I did try GF pancakes and yoghurt the other day but they got refused too.

I can't think if any thing else! Please help  :) :)

Edit - forgot to say that of course ideas need to be gluten, dairy and egg free

Offline Happyface82

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:56:08 am »
I found some organic corn balls that K loved. Unfortunatelythey disn't agree with her but should be ok fir your LO. They are gluten free! :-)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Breakfast ideas - GF DF and EF!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:17:04 am »
What about cooked quinoa.... in some sort of porridge... let me think about how you could make it... it's a great protein apparently..
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:18:14 am »
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:16:58 am »
Buntybear -
Have been meaning to post on the other thread, but have been crazy this weekend!  Here are some things I am doing for my newly GF DF EF DS.

Pancakes -
I use the Cherrybrook Kitchen mix.  I follow the directions on the pkg (which call for a touch of oil and df milk) and then I add to it.  I recently made Banana Pumpkin pancakes - big hit:
1 cup of CK pancake mix
3/4 cup almond milk
2 tsp canola oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of pumpkin pie spice
pinch of salt
1/8 tsp of ginger
1/3 cup of pumpkin puree
1 med banana
1 tsp vanilla

(You can alter the spices as you want)
Also made zucchini pancakes with this mix.  Followed recipe on back of mix and added shredded zucchini, a touch of agave nectar, and 1/2 tsp of vanilla.

Banana French Toast
3 ripe bananas
1 Cup almond milk (or Dairy-free or dairy milk of choice)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, optional but a nice touch during winter
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 Tbsp ground chia seeds or flax meal
6-8 slices of gluten free bread
2 Tbsp Coconut or Organic Canola Oil for skillet (make sure to keep skillet well greased in between batches)

Blend ingredients (except oil) in a blender/food processor and then make like regular french toast.  I will warn you though, it made WAY more batter than for 6-8 pieces of bread.  I actually froze the remaining batter it because there was so much left over.  They were pretty good.  I ate them with DS - he loved them.I used this same recipe with pumpkin puree also and added some egg replacement (the powder kind that you have to mix with water first? I think it's called Ener-G) instead of the flaxseed.  I will warn you that these are not perfect yet because the coating seems to bunch up or fall off.  Still a work in progress LOL.

We've only been doing this for a little more than a week, but DS also likes Corn Chex (which I was psyched to find are gf cf ef and can be bought in a regular supermarket!!!) and Van's Waffles.

Have also been making smoothies (particularly because DS doesn't love the almond milk).  
8oz almond milk
a few handfuls of frozen strawberries and bananas
some orange juice
(sorry it's not more exact, but I have to keep adding some OJ until it gets a little thinner than a typical smoothie since DS doesn't like it thick)
This should make 2-3 servings (1 serving fills up a big sippy cup).

I'll post my chix nugget recipe on my other thread!  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:24:07 am by samsmommy3312010 »
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:25:59 am »
Something that really helped us when it came to breakfast with my ds was to stop just offering typical breakfast ideas. James will still often ask for roast beef as part of his breakfast when he knows there is some left over in the fridge from a roast dinner. I decided a long time ago that as long as what my children are eating is healthy that it does not really matter when they eat it. James had a severe food aversion and so I guess we are just happy that he eats well now. We still have issues with certain textures and he does not like gravy poured over his roast dinner for example but will dip his food into gravy if I put it into a separate pot.

Have you tried adding fruit to the porridge to make it a little different?

I will have a think on this and see if I can come up with any ideas.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:59:23 am »
Thanks for the ideas. Breakfast was a bit Late this morning and he ate most if his porridge but this may well be a one off and so I think I will try and mix it up a bit any way  :)

Kelly, what is the difference between a fussy LO and one with aversions? Olly will point blank refuse anything like casserole or pie etc. he went months not eating anything at nursery as this is the kind of food they would serve, I thought he was just fussy - could it be some thing more?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 11:17:05 am »
Have you looked into/considered hypersensitivity? Or sensory aversions? Sorry if this is what you meant- I'm on my phone so can't read it all well.. Mixed consistencies can be tricky, does he have a problem with hair washing, messy play or wearing different textures.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 12:10:41 pm »
I hadn't before, it is a new idea to me! He is fine with messy play. He has never been one to throw himself into it but he does give it a go. He doens't like hair washing but we don't do it often as he has had such bad eczema - I think it is probaly due to that.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 13:26:00 pm »
I make grain free pancakes! They are also dairy free. They do have an egg but I'm sure you could use egg replacer for that? I take about 10 whole (shelled) organic walnuts and grind them to a flour/meal consistency. I mix that with about 1 tbsp flax meal, 2 tbsp water, 1 tbsp light coconut milk (or more water or another dairy free milk is fine), 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder, 1 egg, 1 tbsp coconut sugar (brown sugar or honey would be fine too), 1 tbsp coconut oil (melted), a bit of salt and some cinnamon. Let that mix and rest together a bit and then cook them up like pancakes! I like to use a rounded tablespoon to make them silver dollar size. Really yummy and filling and nutritious!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 18:07:02 pm »
I am sure there are mild to severe food aversions. James developed what was diagnosed as a severe food aversion and his consultant at the time said it had developed due to fear of food caused by the amount of allergic reactions he had experienced. James went from eating quite well (although food had to be pureed) to not eating anything apart from raisins and drinking neocate. James was ill a couple of times before this started and each time would only drink the neocate until he was feeling better. James's skin at this time was also much better. The doctor thinks this definitely contributed to the sudden food refusal.

Like I mentioned above though he would not accept anything that was not pureed to a smooth consistency with the exception of raisins or breadsticks so we already were dealing with food issues before the sudden refusal.

You might find this link useful

http://www.livestrong.com/article/487311-what-to-do-with-a-food-aversion-in-toddlers/

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 18:27:23 pm »
Thanks for the link Kelly