Author Topic: Dream feed, bottle and pacifier questions  (Read 1413 times)

~Carly~

Dream feed, bottle and pacifier questions
« on: April 15, 2012, 22:33:36 pm »
DS2 is breast fed, and I have been pumping so that I could begin to introduce the dream feed and the occasional bottle.  I have tried to do the dream feed by breastfeeding, but cannot get him to latch on.  I have tried the last 3 nights with the bottle, but cannot get him to take it either.  I have also tried giving him a bottle a different times of day and by different people, but he refuses it.  Same thing with the pacifier-  he gags on it and turns his head. 

I am not really sure what I am asking.  Maybe I need to try different brands?  How long does it usually take to get a LO to take a pacifier or bottle?  I would love to offer the DF, but I would have to completely wake him up to do it. 

Thanks!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Dream feed, bottle and pacifier questions
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 20:20:19 pm »
What brand bottle are you using? I have heard to try one that mimics your breast/ nipple shape as much as possible.

Laura

Offline rayasunshine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:22:19 am »
Hi Carly,

I had to re-introduce the bottle to my 15 week old ds and I finally got him to take the playtex bottle with the brown nipple...surprisingly he took it from me after much perseverance. Try having his back toward you and feed him, walk around with him to see if that may help. I was also told to try putting it in his mouth while he was sleeping and then when he takes it to take him out of bed and finish feeding him. Once he got the hang of the bottle he took the paci (which I only tried but am not using)...anywyas HTH! Good luck!

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 02:37:50 am »
Carly we introduced at 4 weeks I think. The bottle we are using is calked breast flow by first years. I've been giving one about once a week (not me, dh). (Not doing dreamfeed bc I'm too lazy. I hated doing it with my ds. I'd rather go to bed!)
heather

~Carly~

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 00:19:11 am »
Thanks!  I am honestly not really concerned with the dream feed or pacifier as much as I am with him taking a bottle.  I am using the breast flow, and also have some tommee tippee (spelling?).  

My mom is going to spend Saturday with me, and she is going to try, too.  I think that he might take it from her over me.  

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:33:54 am »
I think it depends on baby. Both my kids took a bottle no problem. Frankly I think they would suck anything with a nipple!
heather