Author Topic: 10 week old bottle feeding every two hours  (Read 1579 times)

Offline exhaustedmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 week old bottle feeding every two hours
« on: April 19, 2012, 21:35:54 pm »
Hi everyone i would really appreciate your thoughts and advice on the following: my 10 week old dd has been bottle fed since birth. she started off on cow and gate stage one formula until she was 2  weeks old and we discovered she has silent reflux. she is now only a perscribed prethickened formula used to manage reflux. dd was 7lb 8oz when she was born and now weighs just over 14lbs. needless to say she is above average for her weight and lenght at this stage. she is generally a content baby and sleeps from approx 9pm until 6/7am, wakening at least once during the night for a feed anytime between 2am and 430am. during the day she feeds every two hours, taking between 4 and 5oz at a time. is this too frequent or should i not fix what isnt broken given her content nature? when she wakens for her feed at night she takes approx 5 to 6oz which suggests to me that she is hungry. ideally it would be great if she slept thru given she drinks so much during the day. any ideas/advice would be appreciated.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 10 week old bottle feeding every two hours
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 20:04:42 pm »
How is she when she feeds? Refluxers who don't have their reflux under control often feed more frequently because the milk soothes their throats. She should be able to last 3 hours between feeds by now really so if you think she is in discomfort between feeds or while feeding it may be worth seeing her Dr again.

What bottles and teat flow are you using? My two were both on Enfamil AR and we found that we actually needed a faster teat than we thought which helped them take better feeds without getting tired sucking.

Laura

Offline exhaustedmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 10 week old bottle feeding every two hours
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 22:06:49 pm »
hi thanx so much for the reply. dd is also on the enfamil ar formula. she doesnt appear distressed or in pain during or between feeds. i am using avent bottles with the number three teats due to the thickness of the formula. was thinking i should try the number four teats, however am concerned it might be too much and dd will choke. Ds also had silent reflux and we used the specfic avent teats for thicker feeds. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.