Author Topic: Drinking from a straw  (Read 2151 times)

Offline jennifer2012

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 30, 2012, 03:37:16 am »
Does anyone have any ideas how I can teach my 17month old to drink out of a straw? I know there is alot of information out there about the damage sippy cups can do to teeth and speech developement.....so I have been trying to get my little guy to use a straw...no luck...any ideas?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Drinking from a straw
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:37:50 am »
We have used a straw sippy for a while which DS took to like a duck to water. Now when we go out, I get a drink and a straw, demonstrate (have a big drink through the straw since I'm likely not to get any more that's not got backwash :P ) and let him at it. He drinks through it fine. Otherwise you might be able to have a go with an open cup... outside is best while they figure it out as they tend to play in it and spill it before they drink it.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:23:24 am »
You could try sucking some up the straw yourself then holding your finger over the end to keep the liquid inside, then offer the other end of the straw and release your finger so the liquid comes out.  Only a small amount obviously.  I only did this about 2 or 3 times before DS realised he could get something out of the straw and started sucking.  Worth a try.

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:14:32 pm »
I would echo that modeling the behavior is helpful.  Sometimes, though, I think they either get the straw, or they don't.

DD1 did not understand the concept behind a straw initially, her first sippy cups were the hard spout.  DD2, conversely, did not understand the spouts (could not figure out she needed to tip it back to drink), and took to the straw at around 10 mo.  Good thing about using the straw is like becj86 says above, you can go out anywhere and they will be able to drink without the need to schlep around a sippy. 

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:41:37 pm »
I did what creations said - they just need to get that there is liquid in there  ;).

DS got it at about 13 mths, and DD was probably about 9mths.