Author Topic: can you help me see the pattern here?  (Read 2614 times)

Offline lilisuze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
« on: May 02, 2012, 15:23:36 pm »
I dont have a huge amount of time, but more than Ive had in a couple of months so here we go!

DS is having some issues. Big kid issues
1. still not PT'd very well
2. bad bad spirited boy behaviour

Its not that drastic, but something points me to thinking its to do with what he eats. Ive been to the paed, who suggested that we see how we go for the next few months, that theres nothing "wrong" with him medically, and I should stop worrying  ::)

So most days he has small wet accidents, not usually a whole pee, mainly a bit before i notice, and then he goes...sometimes he's very reluctant to pee, says he doesnt want to (not in a typical spirited ranty way, more as if its painful in some way). He's been tested for UTI and theres not anything on the dipstick.
Behaviour is worse some days than others. But i know he's a boy, spirited at that, had a lot of change since a little sister appeared on the scene etc etc.

So I'm thinking it could be the soya milk. This is my main possibility. he normally has sweetened soy about 200ml a day. sometimes more if he asks for milkshake or a glass of milk. We switched back to sweetened soy after he didnt gain any weight between age 2.5 and 3 and our HV suggested it would put more calories in him. But its just calories and not fat like regular cows milk KWIM? (anyone who's not followed me and my dude wont know he's MPI) It could be that its the soy not agreeing with him, or it could be an overload of sugar. While he was on unsweetened soy he was dry at night, and less wet in the day, because i thought at the time he was taking in less fluids... :-\ :-\

Does anyone know if this can cause issues with wet accidents (either too much simple sugar or soya protein)? And also any sugggestions for a trial off soy.

When I get the chance I'll upload a couple of bad days food diarys and you can see what you think...but in general I think he eats well, veg/protien/carb mix, a few treats etc.

I just dont know what to do  :'(

thanks for reading
Lili xx
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: can you help me see the pattern here?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 16:15:16 pm »
We switched back to sweetened soy after he didnt gain any weight between age 2.5 and 3 and our HV suggested it would put more calories in him. But its just calories and not fat like regular cows milk KWIM?

Well, my first thought is that neither of my kids put on significant weight during that age, they just got a bit taller and lost a bit of the chubbiness/toddler gut.  Second, soy def. does not have the fat content of whole milk.  Is he getting the fats in his diet?

I'm really not sure on the sugar/soy and wet accidents, though I suppose the easy thing to do would be to cut it out for a week or so and see what happens. 
Heidi

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 17:24:35 pm »
Could you try another type of milk, like rice milk? And like Heidi said, just make sure that he is getting enough fat in his diet.
Amy

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 19:46:13 pm »
Possibly no help at all but my niece had quite a few wet accidents when she had fruit juice.  When they cut out apple juice and orange juice she was much better.  I don't know a lot about soy milk but my mum has the sweetened one and it is sweetened with apple juice - so maybe your thinking on the sweetened soy milk is worth continuing to investigate?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 20:23:29 pm »
Many people who are dairy-allergic also have issues with soy; I've read that the proteins are similar so the body can react in similar ways.

I'd ditch both dairy and soy for now, give him lots of plain old water, also avoid too much juice or serve it VERY VERY diluted if you do serve it; fructose isn't tolerated well by everyone, and it's the naturally-occurring sugar in fruits and juices. But do ABSOLUTELY make sure he's getting good fats from other sources, like dark meat chicken, coconut milk or coconut oil, that sort of thing.

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 17:45:25 pm »
Hugs, Lili.  I have no experience in this area but I do think that you need to listen to your gut and if you think something is off and that maybe the sweetened soy milk is to blame you should keep looking into it. 
~Stef~

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 22:17:37 pm »
I have no idea I'm afraid lili but wanted to offer hugs.

Is he constipated at all? That has been linked to leaking pee. I k.ow cadan gets this moreso if he has a hard poo coming soon.

Could the sugar just be making him a little hyper. I agree I would try cutting it for a week and see if there is any difference. I must say though that it all sounds very familiar behaviour so it doesn't jump out at me as being a chemical/food issue. I'm no expert though of course.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline lilisuze

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 06:24:41 am »
thanks everyone. def not constipated, the other way if aanything. we keep a prescription bottle of Imodium syrup with us! khalams mama gave me some info on that!

sometimes I just think he s a lazy, not well behaved boy.  which is irritating because I've followed all the guidelines for bringing up a nice child!

but will try some oat milk this week

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 08:19:55 am »
Honestly hun cadan is exactly the same. He seems much worse when I have been away from him and someone else has been watching him. Even this morning I had a 45 minute lie in while DH got up with the kids and it is as if I've abandoned him for a week. He does the same if I leave the room at play group just to change Colby's nappy. I come back and he's pinching someone who snatched a toy from him or he's throwing toys etc. Even if I just spend 10mins in the same room dressing or feeding Colby he plays up attention seeking. It's like he feels frustrated or insecure or something whenever I'm not paying attention to him. I have to be really mindful to keep interacting with him whenever possible but obviously there are times when I ha e to be doing other things. Do you think it could be related to your DD being born and you going back to work?

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 08:50:45 am »
def not constipated, the other way if aanything. we keep a prescription bottle of Imodium syrup with us!

That screams food intolerance to me, and needs to be sorted out asap! Persistant diarrhea strips vitamins and minerals out of the body and the cause needs to be found so it can be stopped. Agree with avoiding soya and dairy for the time being, and cutting down on fruit will help his irritated gut to heal :)

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 10:35:11 am »
Is it possible some hidden milk is sneaking into his diet?

Offline lilisuze

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 09:13:23 am »
tbh I've been adding a little bit in. and not been label reading so much since he was 3. saw the paed doc who said toddler diarrhoea was nothing to worry about. I'd say his poop is loose at least once a week.

good news is he tolerated the oat milk like a babycino last night. and I will be very careful the next few days with dairy intake

thanks