Author Topic: Sensitivities to E464  (Read 7808 times)

Offline koe2moe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« on: May 07, 2012, 07:44:33 am »
I would like to share some information with you as I just found out that I was reacting to hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (HPMC) or Hypromellose, E464, which is used as an additive as an emulsifier, thickening and suspending agent and an alternative to animal gelatin.  It is used an a substitute for gluten in GF bread, for instance.

My symptoms were waking through the night and lower back muscle pain.  It was in my Magnesium/Calcium tablets. 

If you are already doing ED for gluten, wheat, food additives, etc and still not feeling right.   This might be what you should look out for.  HTH

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Sensitivities to E464
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:01:30 pm »
Thanks x

Guess you are feeling better from eliminating it now?

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:03:39 pm »
yeah, didn't wake all night and the back pain is gone.  Thanks for asking :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:04:21 pm »
That is good!

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 18:25:47 pm »
Oh and today i dont have brain fog anymore and i could fall asleep last night and even back to sleep after tending to DS.  So those were also caused by the sensitivities to E464!  Grumpiness and irritability, i normally blame that on DH :p. now that were also gone!  @@

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 20:30:42 pm »
DH just reminded me that i was complaining about numbness in both legs, bloating and edema and i woke up without a sticking out belly! 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 21:25:23 pm »
WOW, you must feel like a different person... and you have a cure for grumpiness and irritabiltity! Maybe I should give it a try  ;)

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 23:56:46 pm »
As I am currently in AGONY with a horrific case of sciatica (and people making fun of me because I can't spell PERCOCET! :P), this is interesting. I've been ramping up my consumption of glucosamine and now I want to see if this stuff is being used as a filler in anything else I'm taking.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 07:21:26 am »
WOW, you must feel like a different person... and you have a cure for grumpiness and irritabiltity! Maybe I should give it a try  ;)
yeah and DH feels it immediately.  Even though I woke at 4 because of DS, i am tired but in a very different way. 

My experience with allergies is that I have a group of symptoms that keep coming, I suspect it is to do with how my body reacts to the antibodies, meaning how they cause blockages in my system.  I am still learning, not sure if i ever will reach the end. 

As I am currently in AGONY with a horrific case of sciatica (and people making fun of me because I can't spell PERCOCET! :P), this is interesting. I've been ramping up my consumption of glucosamine and now I want to see if this stuff is being used as a filler in anything else I'm taking.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I have had two courses for numbness in the legs.  My slipped disc which was sorted out by manuel therapy and allergies which are still ongoing.  I won't be surprised if once you react to it, your body will react to more than one kind of cellulose which is in lots of things.  E461-468 are all cellulose! 

i am also going to check for my MIL who is on heart medication and she did mention that some medication gives her trouble because of the filler.