Author Topic: Nuts ?!?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Tiz_01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Nuts ?!?
« on: May 07, 2012, 20:34:13 pm »
Just that really! What age can I start to introduce? which ones? I'm worried about possible allergic reactions.  DD is 18mnths and i'm still not able to give her cows milk (runny eyes, snotty nose, REALLY grumpy and excema last time I tried.  still trying to introduce but very slowly)

Offline Tiz_01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Nuts ?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 13:11:35 pm »
Anyone??

Offline Hedgehog17

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
Re: Nuts ?!?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 13:44:03 pm »
I'm waiting until 3yo, as the NHS recommend, due to nut allergies in the family. DS is MPI (as is DH) and we don't want to trigger anything else!

If DD is reacting to cows milk then definitely avoid nuts and shellfish for the time being.

You don't need to rush to introduce cows milk either, as there are plenty of alternatives out there  :)

Offline okinawamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 16:12:09 pm »
If there's no history of food allergies, than the recommendation has shifted to introducing all foods, even those considered "high allergens" as soon as the child is ready for solids ( around 6 months). I was totally shocked, and did some research and reading,They are now saying that one of the key factors in severe allergic reactions is withholding allergenic foods to which children have a mild reaction early on - by withholding the foods at an early age, the body reacts more strongly when exposed at a later age. 
 I recently came across an article  ( found here http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/07/110207fa_fact_groopmanP ). I did ask around, and many of my friends pediatricians (as well as a friend who has a daughter who sees an allergist) also recommend starting earlier. With DS1 I introduced it around 9 months, DS2 has some other allergies, so we are waiting until he's a little over 1.

Since you think your LO might have a food allergy, I'd ask your pediatrician (or allergist) and see what they say. My friend who's child has other allergies began by rubbing peanut butter on the outside of her LO's cheek, if no reaction, she then placed a little peanut butter on her lip, and again waited for a reaction. Then she allowed her a small taste. If you're concerned you could always take it very slow with the introduction.
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011