Author Topic: When to stop Formula?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline EricaM31

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 09, 2012, 16:38:23 pm »
I have a 10.5 month old and takes 2 X 8oz bottles and 1x 6oz bottle a day.  when do you switch to cows milk?  Do I give him cows milk in a bottle or a sippy?  He loves the sippy too.  Also, has anyone heard of switching to almond milk or coconut milk instead of cows milk?  My daughter who is 2.5 months now was bf till a year and wanted nothing to do with cows milk so I made sure she had other things such as yogurt and stuff.  I would prefer him not drink too much cows milk.  Any suggestions or experiences welcome!!

Thank you

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: When to stop Formula?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 17:37:37 pm »
The general recs are that babies need breast milk or formula until they are a year and then you can switch to cow's milk. They also suggest switching totally to cups by a year too, but many babies still have milk in bottles for a while yet.

Some babies do move on to other milks at a year but that's usually because they are intolerant or allergic to cow's milk. Other milks can be ok but you have to watch their diet for fat content as non-dairy milks don't have the fat levels toddlers need and can be higher in sugar.

HTH!

Laura