Author Topic: Is my baby intolerant to formula milk???  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Jay2512

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 12, 2012, 16:51:59 pm »
Hi,,

Not too sure really what to do so was really looking for some advice.....

My lo is now 20 weeks, and breastfed up until now. We had tried aptimal more than a month ago. However, on all three occasions she took the milk she vomited. The last Aptimil feed was really bad and she spent an hour and half vomiting what seemed like the entire contents of her stomach.

Since then we never tried, up until today with SMA, thinking that she may tolerate another milk better. I'd mixed 100mls EBM with 50mls SMA milk. After 3 hours, again she vomited it up and also had poo'd (which she hardly never does after that particular feed). I'm now worried that she will not tolerate this either.

Should I continue with maybe less formula?
Should I reduce the volume of feed if formula is heavier?
Or try Cow and gate?
Or not to introduce formula esp. if this is a sign of intolerance?

So many questions, but not sure as what to do next.....

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: Is my baby intolerant to formula milk???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 00:12:29 am »
Hey there!   Sorry you're having some troubles.  Have you talked to your paed about this? It does sound like your LO is intolerant to milk protein (MPI).  There is hypoallergenic formula (HAF) available so I would definitely try that.  Here we have Alimentum or Nutramigen, not sure where you are and what formulas are available. If you still have issues with these, there are elemental formulas available, which are amino-acid based.

But I think the decision to continue with exclusive BF or to introduce HAF is completely personal, it is up to you and there is definitely some benefit in delaying the introduction of formula in your case if you can.  But, most LO's do tolerate well HAF so if you do wish / need to introduce formula it would be a better starting point for you than regular formula :)

Feel free to pop on the Colic, Reflux & Crying board there are lots of lovely ladies over there with lots of experience with MPI :)
Elise

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Is my baby intolerant to formula milk???
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:12:52 am »
I am going to lock this thread as OP has another thread on the Allergies board.

If you have any advice or wish to add support please do so here

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=230570.0

Thanks all!

Laura