Author Topic: Can't figure out what my daughter is having a problem with  (Read 7348 times)

Offline sana87

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi! I'm a 1st time mom of a 14 month old. I started giving my daughter a bottle of formula at bedtime for the first time from 1.5 months back. I started her of Gerber Graduates Toddler Drink. Since I live in Bangladesh and its not available here (my mother sent it from Canada) I bought NAN 3 from here 2 weeks ago. My daughter usually had severe constipation where she would poop every other day (sometimes she used to poop after 2 days and sometimes she would poop everyday...but mostly she would poop every alternate days). After 3-4 days of having NAN 3 she started having softer poop and then for the last 4-5 days she would fart a lot and poop right after having her bottle. yesterday she pooped 2 during her sleep and once in the morning after waking up and twice more during the day. and each time she would strain a lot and her poop would be watery and mucus-y. When my daughter was 6.5 months old she had allergic reaction to cerelac and rashes erupted on her whole body so I thought she was allergic to cow's milk. but she was fine one gerber's toddler drink. What could be causing this reaction in her? I'm listing all the ingredients from both the formula:

Gerber toddler drink: FRESH SKIM MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, CORN MALTODEXTRIN, CORN AND CANOLA OILS, PALM OLEIN, SOY LECITHIN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOUR, BIFIDOBACTERIUM LACTIS*, VITAMINS (SODIUM ASCORBATE, DL-ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RETINYL ACETATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID, DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL, BIOTIN, CHOLECALCIFEROL), MINERALS (MAGNESIUM CITRATE, POTASSIUM CITRATE, FERROUS SULPHATE, ZINC SULPHATE, MANGANESE SULPHATE, COPPER SULPHATE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE).
* 1 billion B. lactis per 200 ml serving

NAN 3: Skimmed cow's milk, maltodextrin, lactose, cow' milk whey protein, palm olein, low erucic rapeseed oil, sunflower oil, soya lecithin, calcium citrate, fish oil, biifidus culture, lactobacillus culture, vitamins, minerals.

Pls help me understand what could be causing this reaction so that I buy a formula without that ingredient. and formula here is very expensive around $35 for a 800g tin (some are more expensive). should I buy hypoallergenic formula for her? Similac, pediasure, S-26, NAN, NAN H.A., Lactogen, SMA Gold are the brands most available here.

Thanks a lot!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Can't figure out what my daughter is having a problem with
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 14:43:54 pm »
Have you given her cow's milk at all in foods and as a drink? What do other toddlers have in your area? She doesn't need to have formula at all now she is one, other sources of calcium can give her what she needs without paying a fortune for formula.

If you have the packaging for both formulas have a look at the nutritional breakdown - the third ingredient on the Nan is lactose but it's not listed on the Gerber, maybe the Gerber a low lactose formula and she is reacting to higher levels of lactose in the Nan :-\

I'll also move this to eating for toddlers as she is over 1!

Laura

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Can't figure out what my daughter is having a problem with
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 19:07:20 pm »
I'd have a chat to your doctor.  Could be food allergy related, could be a stomach upset, could be developmental.

Is there any reason (food safety wise) not to move to cow's milk?  I'm not sure what Bangladeshi standards are on dairy.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/