Author Topic: switching to formula from hypo and to a sippy?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline lilisuze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
switching to formula from hypo and to a sippy?
« on: May 21, 2012, 13:29:14 pm »
I know were a bit Preemie to be here at toddlers, but DD is almost walking!

she needs to do a milk trial, has been on nutramigen since 5 months old when I stopped bf.  I bought some pre made follow on formula, and figured I might do 1 a day for a week or so.  I don't expect any reaction, the formula change was more of a precaution.

but she will only take milk in a bottle, flatly refuses any kind of cup for milk. she will use a beaker wwith spout for water and seems quite efficient.

wwyd as a starting point?

thanks

lili
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline lilisuze

Re: switching to formula from hypo and to a sippy?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:20:40 am »
bumping, anybody?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 07:04:01 am »
I haven't had exactly this problem but sort of similar.
DS would take milk from a sippy cup but very little and if I tried to give a sippy for his first milk of the day (which was his last remaining bottle) he would go mad until I poured it into a bottle.
I did a few things all at once:
- snipped the teat on his bottle so it was a very fast flow and had him more sitting up for it rather than the lie back snugly sort of bottle feeding.  He was older than your LO when I did this though so it's up to you to decide if it's worth a try.
- taught him to use a straw.  I avoided bottle times to do the teaching and did it more as a short activity or at a solids meal time.  Some LOs will use a straw without help so you could try that first.  Mine didn't get it straight away though so I showed him that liquid came out of it.  If you suck a little milk/water up the straw and hold your finger on the other end it will keep the liquid in the straw.  Then encourage LO to take the other end in her mouth and release your finger so she gets a taste of the liquid.  Also demonstrate by drinking with the straw and explaining it verbally.  Within a VERY short time (a few mins) DS had the idea and was sucking up the straw.  From here I found he would take much more milk than he would from a sippy.  You can buy toddler bottle with a straw rather than sippy spout so that it is still kind of non-spill.
- Continued to offer a sippy of milk at a solids meal time, or have two sippys one water one milk.

He still has a straw bottle for his daily milk which is a big drink of milk on morning wake up.  He has a little sippy of milk with his last meal of the day.  Over time he has increased the amount he will take from the sippy so now if he isn't too keen on what he is offered for dinner he drinks more milk.

The other thing though is that she is still only 10 months and using a bottle for a while longer isn't a problem so long as she isn't sucking on it all day and it's not filled with juice.  Last thing at night you should brush teeth after her milk whether in a cup or bottle to prevent tooth decay.  Many people still give their LOs bottles a long time beyond a year old.  I really wanted to cut ours and I think we managed at 13 or 14 months when he agreed to take his full morning milk from a straw bottle.

Hope this helps a bit.

Offline lilisuze

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 10:36:58 am »
thanks creations, i was just thinking that if we were making a change, it might be worth doing it all together, kind of new milk = new sippy. But maybe we should see how she goes first.

Anyone successfully switched from nutramigen to milk formula?