Author Topic: More spit-up since starting 4-hr EASY?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline bensmom114

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
More spit-up since starting 4-hr EASY?
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:27:55 am »
Hi there!  I've just started DS on 4-hr EASY about a week ago.  He is 4.5 mo.  He was def a snacker before, eating every 2-3 hrs during the day and he almost NEVER spit up.  Now that I have stretched his feeds to every 4 hrs he spits up almost every time!  Is this pretty normal?  He is EBF.  Thanks!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: More spit-up since starting 4-hr EASY?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 08:41:36 am »
Hi, Welcome to BW :)

Does he have reflux? I just wonder if the snacking was happening to soothe and now he's taking more, he spitting up...
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

DS was a happy chucker and spat up after almost every feed but he did that regardless of whether they were 2hr or 4hr apart.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:44:15 am by becj86 »

Offline bensmom114

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 17:10:13 pm »
He did have colic for the first 3 months, but that is over, thank goodness!  He also used to get the hiccoughs daily, so maybe we were unknowingly treating a little reflux by snacking.  I don't get the impression that he is in any pain.  Maybe I'll run it by the dr if it keeps up.  Thanks for your reply, I'm so thankful to have found these forums!

Offline jennandsophie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 18:57:48 pm »
This happens because he's taking more at every feed, which triggers the reflux.  Small, frequent feeds are much easier to digest and tend to stay down a lot more. 

There is just reflux and then acid reflux.  He may not have acid reflux, which causes pain when the acid from the stomach comes up.  He's probably just regurgitating back out a little of what he ate when he has a big meal.  It's nothing to be concerned about if he's happy and it doesn't seem to bother him.  You can try to split each feed so that he eats half and then you burp him and let him digest a bit and then give him the rest 15-30 mins later.
Jennifer - mom to Sophie and Jonas