Author Topic: Slacklining for kids  (Read 6901 times)

Offline nosenose

• Daddy Mac
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 88
  • Next Stop, Superbikes.
Slacklining for kids
« on: May 29, 2012, 16:04:22 pm »
Have any of you ever heard of Slacklining? I thought it was a new thing but it's been around for a while. I think it has gotten more popular since that dude did it at the Madonna concert. Essentially, it's tightrope walking but the rope is slacker and it's a flat piece of webbing rather than rope so it is easier.

From what I have read and seen, it is an amazing way to strengthen your core while developing amazing balance. And they have kids doing it (with a helper rope above).

Slackline Activities for Kids

I saw that you can get a kit fairly cheap and it really only needs to be 1-2 feet off the ground. Most gardens would be big enough to set one up and it's not just for the kids, the adults can gain from it too.

Apparently it's an amazing feeling once you master it and some people take it to the extreme and do 'Highlining', but that's an extreme sport not for kids (nor for me, don't worry Wendy :) ).

So, I think I may investigate this later this year or maybe next year. Looks fun! And kids love it...

Little Kids Slackline

I think there are ways to set it up indoors too (for Winter) if you have the space.

Tom...

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 17:29:13 pm »
Yes!!  We have one of these at DS's kindergarten :)  It really is cool, but admittedly I didn't know it was a "thing."  He is in a kindergarten run by our local Sports Association and it falls under what is called over here as a "Bewegungs Kindergarten" meaning "movement kindergarten."  So it's sports-based, yes, but really the day-to-day activities are all about movement, balance, body-in-space, motor skills, strength training and so on.  It really is cool the stuff they do and the things the kids learn. DS tells us a lot of things that he has done and we don't ever learn the English words for it because he has learned it in German and they are words not in the dictionary or that no one here knows in English.  So "slacklining" for instance!

The first activity they did for starting this was a wooden school bench, suspended from the ceiling (the ceilings are all purpose-built with special hooks for different things!) and it basically made a balance beam that would sway as they walked on it, but was wide enough for them as they went across.  They have 'obstacles' in the way - no rubber chickens though! - and the kids get around them.. They moved to a wide band and now are on a thick rope, and it looks pretty much like in the picture. They do have the triangle mats underneath in spots as well and both DS and his teacher tried to explain to me why it was a triangle mat and I didn't understand, but now I can see it in the video. Same with the hula hoops.  Makes sense now!!

We also have an area in our city with two of these, specifically for kids, just in the public park. 

It really is cool, and there is a lot of research framed and hanging on the walls at DS's kindergarten on how all of this kind of stuff is essential for children to master before you sit them down in a desk and teach them to print/write because it is a part of the brain that switches on and helps to train them spatially and develop the right motor skills that they need for more "academic" activities. 

Offline nosenose

• Daddy Mac
  • Administrator
  • Next Stop, Superbikes.
Re: Slacklining for kids
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 17:37:44 pm »
Figures that they are all over it for the kids in Germany. I miss that place :)

I think I need to get on this this year then. Nevermind if F doesn't like it, I will! :)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 17:44:39 pm »
no rubber chickens though!
That's what I noticed first too LOL

The tweaking never stops!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 17:49:28 pm »
Yes, you should Tom!  It really is cool!!

Figures that they are all over it for the kids in Germany. I miss that place :)

Yes, a lot of this kind of stuff is great.  They are fantastic here at the 'preparation' for school and the kids start primary school with a fantastic understanding of "ordnung" and "dienst" but the academic side really does suffer for it!

I'll have to take a rubber chicken in and see if they will hang it, LOL!

If you have the space in the backyard and are looking for more of this kind of stuff, I can write down the name of the guy who developed it (like, some old-school German (or possibly Swiss I suspect  :P)and you can look them up. There are a lot of activities that they do with very little equipment.  They have pictures of the kids doing them all over the walls, with the write-up under it explaining the name of the activity and the purpose.  So "lie down and do a sausage roll under this rope" really has some posh German name, proper instructions and a greater purpose than "because it's fun"  ;D 

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 04:32:06 am »
I had never heard of this but it looks amazing!!! I will certainly have too look into it some more.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 05:11:09 am »
This stuff is awesome! I did this when I was in cadets and it's a great workout. I was not good at all at it though :-[

It's amazing for confidence and physical development.

Now I want to make one or find one for my girls. They would be so entertained lol though I think I would have another rope for them to hold on to. I forget what the two ropes are called. Lots of fun too :)
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline nosenose

• Daddy Mac
  • Administrator
  • Next Stop, Superbikes.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 19:50:17 pm »
Well I got one on Thursday and went slacklining on it on Friday after work (in total, on Friday, I met 5 people at 2 different places doing slacklining - I have never seen it in person before lol).

Indeed it is a great workout and felt great after. After about 1 hour, I was able to take 5 steps :). I think I will likely go buy a helper line so Finn/whoever can try it unassisted.

I also suggested it to our gymnastics place who are investigating getting one now lol.

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 20:06:31 pm »
Where did you find the kit?

Offline nosenose

• Daddy Mac
  • Administrator
  • Next Stop, Superbikes.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 20:20:02 pm »
MEC has it. Dunno if there is one near you or not. They deliver too.

I think using it without a couple of suitable trees will be a pita though, unless you are already into rope-sports and are OK making DIY tether points etc...

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 20:24:58 pm »
Okay thanks! I saw the MEC one online. We have one in Calgary so an hour away. Looks awesome!!

Offline nosenose

• Daddy Mac
  • Administrator
  • Next Stop, Superbikes.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 20:55:15 pm »
There are probably cheaper ways, but they are not as straight forward as the Gibbons kits.

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 21:21:41 pm »
Straight forward is what I need! DH figures he can build one. I said but there's a kit!! He rolls his eyes at me :P

Offline nosenose

• Daddy Mac
  • Administrator
  • Next Stop, Superbikes.
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 18:06:50 pm »
Well, Finn just *loved* it. I set it up today, offered him my hand and he just went back & forth. Couldn't get him off of it.

He seems quite content using my hand, so I don't think I will bother getting a helper line, not for now at least.

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 02:54:02 am »
Alright! LOVE the video of Finn!

DH set one up. He refused to buy a kit ::) and used whatever we had around the place so here it is. It isn't perfect but it works. Our trees aren't far enough apart but Ethan is content with it. An adult can't really use it but to be honest, I never really had huge dreams of taking this up :P I haven't gotten a clue how to post a video or I would!

Hmm..the picture is a bit hard to see. We did put a helper line up and now Ethan can do it himself and get on and off of it which is really helpful as my hands are usually tied up keeping Emily from eating everything outside!