Author Topic: graduation from balance bike  (Read 5056 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
graduation from balance bike
« on: June 04, 2012, 21:13:01 pm »
K has mastered his balance bike that he got for his 2nd birthday and we have bought him a regular bike for his 3rd in a couple weeks.
It comes with stabilisers, but I wasn't sure whether to leave them on as I heard lots of lo don't need them after using a balance bike. Or was thinking to maybe put them up high for back up???
Any BTDT experience/advice?

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 01:20:14 am »
Ultimately, you don't want to go to the stage of the stabilizer.  I will admit, My experience was with a child who was five.  I realize yours is two years younger.  So, my dd might have been more ready.  

Do you think you could give it a try without the stabilizers without scaring your child if they take a spill?

We used a bike without the pedals on it (as opposed to a balance bike)  Then, went back to her regular bike.  We had (what we call in the US) training wheels on it, but they were all lopsided and not really doing their job.  She had the confidence knowing the training wheels were on, but they were doing nothing.  ;)

it actually made for some great video.  She was cruising and had no clue she was doing this cool thing of riding without training wheels.  I had to be all calm when inside I am going, "Yea!"  But, enough about Mel
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:22:18 am by nwmm »

Offline nwmm

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 01:24:23 am »
Supposed to read, "enough about me" but having a hard time correcting.

See if you can skip the stabilizer stage.   I am afraid they will not want to try to ride without them and then you will need to wait until they get their confidence.  Depending on stages that could take awhile.

Offline okinawamama

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 01:35:49 am »
Absolutely skip the training wheels (stanilizers). The point behind the balance bike is to develop a child's sense of balance well enough to not need them. If K can lift his feet for an extended period of time on the balance bike, than I'd think his balance is strong enough to transition right to the two wheeler. I really wouldn't worry about him crashing, he'll put his feet down just like he did on the balance bike.

Ambrose has been riding his two wheel bike without training wheels for about 6 months and the transition went pretty smooth. The hardest part was helping him figure out how to pedal. With a little practice, K will take right off! If it were me (and it was about 6 months ago) I'd skip any form of training wheels!
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline nwmm

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 01:48:17 am »
Keep in mind that a larger bike can be harder to manage.  So, if that is the case, don't be discouraged.  Just give it a tiny bit of time.

Mine rode a whole summer on one bike.  Started this summer on the same bike.  Did fine.  Needed to move up a bike size.  Took a few tumbles to master it. 

Offline Khalam's Mama

Re: graduation from balance bike
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:03:29 am »
Great thanks. Yes he can lift his feet well so he must have good balance. Wasn't sure how much harder it was to pedal. He is fairly fearless so probably won't be put off by a few tumbles.

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 08:17:14 am »
Both Leorah's cousins had balance bikes and were riding regular 2 wheelers before they were 3!
Katt

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 10:54:38 am »
Just make sure the seat is low enough so he can put his feet down.  I saw a very confident little girl crash repeatedly (and get hurt) when her daddy was teaching her to ride a bike and it was simply a case of the seat being too high and she couldn't put her feet down to steady herself or when she stopped the bike.  I'm pretty sure you will already be checking on this but wanted to mention as sometimes it's the simple and obvious things we forget about.

I haven't been in this position myself obviously, but this is totally what I plan.  DS has a scramble bug now and will be getting the balance bike for his 2nd birthday and then I plan to move him on to a bike without stabilizers.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 12:58:30 pm »
So my plan too- glad to hear you can have them from 2, i wasn't sure. My sister is BURSTING to buy my guy a balance bike- so i'll let her know that 2 is the go!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 13:30:23 pm »
Katy if you can, I would get one even earlier than 2yo!  18 months!!!

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 16:02:28 pm »
They do them from 2yo here but if your guy is tall enough for it he would be fine from younger. B is already wanting to get on but has to be helped to balance.
We went out on the balance bike today and k rode 1.5hr and sA lifting his feet for ages going really fast and also on the small hills when he didn't need to brake. He is so ready for an upgrade. I was tempted to give him it a wk early.

Offline Mashi

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 20:41:13 pm »
They make them with wider wheels that can not tip that are suitable for aged 12+ months, regular wheeled ones from 18+ months. 

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 20:42:57 pm »
Oh no don't tell me that now I want one

Offline Mashi

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 20:48:43 pm »
The wide wheeled one you mean? They are made by "BIG"
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0030NL5XK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_d0_g21_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18B4M81J29RZDAMTWV7D&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128

I can't find them on amazon UK at the moment but I am pretty sure I looked them up for another BWer in the UK and they were there.

Offline Khalam's Mama