Author Topic: throwing food off highchair  (Read 2050 times)

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
throwing food off highchair
« on: June 09, 2012, 04:48:02 am »
Hi Ladies!!

DD is 13.5 months old..she is a great eater!! she just has a nasty habit of throwing her food off her tray when she is full. I have been working with her on sign language for a long time. Saying "all done" when she is finished eating...I have to repeat it many many times before she actually does it, in the mean time she tells me she is done by throwing all of her food on the carpet.  My husband and I try to be consistent and say "No throwing it on the floor" and then say "are you all done?" (while doing sign language) but she just keeps throwing more and more food on the ground.
Any advice on how to stop it?

~Carly~

Re: throwing food off highchair
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:29:24 am »
My DS1 did this at that age. 

We ended up limiting the amount of food that we put onto the tray, and adding more as he ate.  When he was finishing/getting full and starting to grab the food to throw, I would take his hand in mine, take the food out of it, and say "oh, Thank You!!", acting like he was meaning to hand it to me.  This became a bit of a game, but it was better than having food slung around. 

HTH!

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 21:04:26 pm »
oh great idea! thank you so much..I will try it tonight

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 20:55:03 pm »
I would take his hand in mine, take the food out of it, and say "oh, Thank You!!"
this or also catching it on a plate or in a bowl as it is dropped or about to be dropped.  Basically a fill and dump game where all unfinished foods plus cutlery are returned to the plate/bowl which signals they have finished and you remove the plate and praise the good manners (thank you for clearing up) before they can tip the lot out again for the dump part of the game.  I found after developmental leaps the boundaries and rules of the world would be tested again to see if they are still the same, so there can be a brief return to dropping food even after many months of lovely clearing up.  Consistency and the same approach at those times will get LO back on track within a couple of days.
It's also worth noting that some LOs throw food when they need a nappy change or need the potty if you've started PTing.  After the change they may well return to eating nicely again if they weren't really full.

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 15:32:13 pm »
My LO is doing this as well. She went from saying AND signing "all done" to throwing food on the floor. She's been doing this for over a month now. I only give her small portions of food at a time so that it's not a huge mess, and when she throws it on the floor, I quickly say, "No, if you're all done, give it to mommy" and hold out my hand. This sometimes works, just depends what her mood is.

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 04:15:28 am »
thank you! we are doing the same thing, she hands it to me like she is being such a helper haha

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 05:32:39 am »
Our favourite at the moment is that sometimes he gets confused and rather than looking at the food on the floor and saying 'uh-oh!' as if he has no idea how it got there- he says 'uh-oh' before even picking up the food to dump!!! If only they were always this transparent!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!