Author Topic: Help feeds have gone wonky!  (Read 891 times)

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:38:01 am »
DS2 is now 14 weeks and exclusively breastfed.  For a couple of months now he's been a really efficient feeder, feeding from one breast for 10-20 mins after naps in his EASY routine.  Sure sometimes we have had the odd day or couple of days where feeds went wonky (either he'd take two breasts at a feed or feed more frequently), but this time it seems to be becoming a habit! 

We moved to hot India (from cold England) 10 days ago.  Feeds are still typically short 10-20 mins, but now he seems to want both breasts at almost every feed.  I wouldn't mind that at all, but the problem is that later in the day he's not lasting from feed to feed, he's waking early from his second and third naps looking for a feed.  And during the night he's gone from doing a good 5/6 hour stretch to feeding every 3 hours (although that may partly be down to me feeding him too early as I'm fast asleep and don't realise he's not actually hungry!)  It's quite humid and hot here so he's sweating, and I wonder if he's taking more foremilk to hydrate himself.  It's really messing up our afternoons though and I don't know what to do about it. 

I think there's another complicating factor, he seems to have got to that stage where he's starting to get easily distracted during feeds.  I've now started feeding him in a quiet room and tried a few different things to get him to feed longer to get more fatty milk (like being really still and not making eye contact, alternatively talking quietly to him or putting on a sparkly necklace or holding a toy), but nothing seems to work.  I've even tried lying down with him as soon as he wakes up from his nap when he's still sleepy, but then he just tries to go back to sleep and doesn't suck properly!

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks, Lia

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Help feeds have gone wonky!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 18:44:35 pm »
I'd say it was totally normal for him to be feeding more often with you having moved to a hot climate.  He needs to keep himself hydrated.  Also you're coming up to the 4m growth spurt, which is a biggy, so things may be coinciding there.
*** Amanda ***

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:59:56 am »
Thanks, things seem to have settled a bit so maybe it was a bit of both, anyway nap routine unfortunately is now all over the place so regularity of feeds isn't such an issue.  Sigh...we'll get there eventually!!