Author Topic: oversupply to undersupply?  (Read 6362 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
oversupply to undersupply?
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:53:48 am »
Hi there!

I've had oversupply for ages, suddenly yesterday within 2h I hardly have enough for my LO.
At 8pm we had her bedtime feed and everything was normal. Then at 10pm when I was pumping for her DF it suddenly took me 40min to get 4oz and I couldn't get a drop more.
DD usually takes just under 5oz at the DF and I get that amount within 20min and still have lots left.
At 3am DD woke hungry and I was shocked to find my breasts were flat. She nursed some but kept crying hungry so I pumped and only got 2oz which I fed her by bottle and she finally settled.
This morning the same, empty breasts! LO nursed some, fussed and I really don't think she got as much as she wanted.
I pumped again since I normally pump after the morning feed for my freezer stash. Usually one side is still full after DD ate and I get quite a lot in a few min....this time 2oz again!

Is it possible for milk to suddenly dry up?
The only thing that comes to mind is that i didn't drink much yesterday but after 10pm i downed 1l of water so surely the NF and morning feed should have been ok?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: oversupply to undersupply?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:04:29 am »
Dropping water intake can definitely be an issue, as can not eating enough. Is she having a growth spurt? Also, around now is when your supply will even out and you'll go to more of a supply-demand rather than continuous production of milk. Do you have a reasonably consistent feed routine so your body can get used to when to fill up?

Offline eva026

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 10:24:33 am »
Food is definitely not the problem lol
Not a GS either.
During the weekend we visited some friends and I didn't keep up on my water intake.
How long do you think it will take to get fixed?
Poor LO is just managing to take the edge off at the moment and she wont take a bottle from me unless it's while she's sleeping.
I feed her every 2.5-3.5h fitting feeds around crazy naps and I usually get full around the 3h mark. Not today..

Offline eva026

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 18:41:18 pm »
I had 4l of water, 3 glasses of juice and 2 big cups of lactation tea.... still no significant change.

Now at the BT feed I had to supplement her with 60ml of what I had collected during the day and I am sure she could have had more but ended up falling asleep before I could pump more. Only got 40ml while pumping.
I'm starting to stress about this

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 19:31:04 pm »
Hugs.  Stress won't help you either.  :-*

Pumping isn't a reliable measure of how much milk you're producing.  Even if you've been able to pump a certain amount at one point, that may not stay the same.

3 months is the prime time where milk production is no longer driven by hormones, but by supply-demand (as Bec said).  See this article for more info - http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-prep/milkproduction/

It is totally normal to go through phases of feeling as if you're lacking.  Heck, BTDT, have the t-shirt!!

Just keep on keeping on, try not to panic, if you're really concerned you could try adding in a pump after feeding and see how it goes.

You're doing great
*** Amanda ***

Offline eva026

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 20:42:24 pm »
I'm trying very hard not to panic but it's not easy.
I've been pumping 2h and got 90ml - not even enough for the DF. If I didn't have a freezer stash, DD would have to get formula tonight.
There is no way she is getting enough from BF at the moment because she is still rooting and attacking the breast. I see a lot of sucking like she does to get a letdown but very little actual swallowing after.
I'm just so shocked the you can dry up in the space of hours, especially after having too much.
Will try pump after every feed like you suggested.

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 20:50:51 pm »
It really sounds like a GS to me. This is the type of behaviour that so often means mums feel they don't have enough and stop BFing. Hang in there for a few more days and see if things get better :)

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 21:06:12 pm »
Agree re. GS.  Could either be the 3m one a bit late of the 4m one (which is a BIG one) early.
Pumping really isn't an accurate gauge, especially after 3/4 months.
Just feed, feed, feed.  Ignore the routine for a while and just go with her.
*** Amanda ***

Offline eva026

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 21:12:12 pm »
hanging, hanging!
Drinking so much I spend the whole day in and out of the toilet.
I hope the tea helps and I'll go get oatmeal tomorrow.
Otherwise the dr proscribed me contraceptives that are compatible with BF, I am taking the second box now. Maybe it's that?
If it was a GS surely I'd fill up as I usually did when there was a 5h break at night?

Offline becj86

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 01:44:03 am »
Otherwise the dr proscribed me contraceptives that are compatible with BF, I am taking the second box now. Maybe it's that?
Progesterone only? Progesterone can lower supply - like when it peaks just before AF comes along.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 03:02:52 am »
Or is it possible that AF could be coming?  Not sure how being on BC would affect that, but hormonal shifts can lower your supply.  Are you getting enough calcium? 

Offline eva026

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 05:50:36 am »
AF I found on the abbreviations list but BC?
Will take a look at the pills and see what they are exactly. But wouldn't problems have started already at the first box not half way thru box 2?
Things were a bit better at night. She woke at 3am again but this time I had enough to feed her and when she woke this morning there was enough for her again.
Pumping till empty now and will continue to drink like a er.... fish? (isn't that about alch only)

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 06:11:49 am »
hue hugs Eva,

Really sounds like a GS to me. I had constant cycles of OS and US, particularly with Emma. But once we'd get over the GS, I'd go back to OS.

Keep doing what you're doing and relax.

Is it cezarette you're on?

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

binxyboo

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 06:34:06 am »
Also, make sure you are just drinking to thirst. Drinking too much can actually lower supply.

Offline eva026

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 09:08:04 am »
Drinking too much can actually lower supply.

Ups didn't know that. I'll go back to the 3l of water I used to drink before.

The pills I'm on are Azalia with desogestrelum and lactose.

Things are looking better today had enough for her NF, morning feed and next one too:)
Juuuusst enough so not sure what will happen in the evening when supply is lower but thank goodness I have that huge freezer stash.