Author Topic: Cow's milk - can it cause hard stools?  (Read 12108 times)

Offline londonlady

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« on: June 30, 2012, 17:23:23 pm »
Hi,
Not sure if this question should go here, so please feel free to move if necessary... :)

We've just got through the transition to cow's milk with DD Sofia, who turned 1 about 2 weeks ago. In the past few days, her poops have become much more formed than usual, and she has cried a couple of times while passing them. She's drinking 2 x 8oz bottles a day, and drinks plenty of water. Her diet hasn't changed other than to say she is eating more than usual this week as she has been through a period of teething where she was eating a bit less.

We transitioned over the course of about 2.5 weeks and didn't notice any problems until the past few days. Can cow's milk cause harder stools? And if it does, is it likely to be something that will pass after some time or is this a reaction that means there is a problem for her with cow's milk?

Thanks ladies,
Rachel. x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Cow's milk - can it cause hard stools?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 17:34:28 pm »
It's fairly common for cow's milk to cause constipation when they first switch to it (or have the opposite effect!). If she has been eating dairy ok up until now or having an ordinary formula then it's more likely to be her body getting used to it rather than a milk protien issue. Maybe the combination of milk and eating more has caused the issue.  I would keep up her water and maybe add some foods that are good for constipation into her diet and see how she goes, there is thread about laxative foods at the top of this board. If she has been eating more things like bananas lately it may be worth cutting them back for a few days - they really bung my DD up if she has too much! You could discuss it with her health professional if it carries on much longer too.

HTH!

Laura

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 18:37:47 pm »
we had this Rach...exactly the same. I would say it took about 10 days for her to be ok and we have no problems now...

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline londonlady

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 19:55:12 pm »
Thanks ladies, that's a relief. She has been fine with it in her cereal and during the transition. We will cut back on the bananas too and I notice there is a sticky on laxative foods which I will have a read of (never had to do that with Sofia before!!)

I knew you'd all know the answer.
x

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 05:46:12 am »
When I moved from BF to cow's milk there was a definite change in stools.  Just increase the fruit and veg in your child's diet and the large amount of water will help.

Also is it worth considering if she needs 2 x 8oz bottles?  That's quite a lot, isn't that about all the dairy she needs in a day?  Most people try to swap to sippy cups after 1 to avoid damage to teeth and they are much smaller.  You don't have to get all the dairy she needs at this age through milk, you can have some within foods, on cereal, as cheese. If you do have a lot of milk as milk on its own it might limit her appetite.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 06:24:30 am »
yes that is a good point. 16oz is quite a bit....

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline londonlady

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 07:31:25 am »
She has milk / calcium in her diet too but Sofia is a milk monster, always has been. That said, I am probably over estimating a bit too.  We're transitioning to a straw cup at the moment (mornings only, as we're only a few days in) and the cup holds 8oz. Sometimes she drinks it all, sometimes she doesn't.  I expect to start reducing down the milk gradually as we're doing a lot of transitions at the moment (my return to work, childcare, cow's milk, cups, naps...) and Sofia doesn't take well to change.

It's clearly not getting in the way of food as she eats like a horse too - don't know where she puts it!!

Thanks again,
Rachel. x

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 09:45:44 am »
Ah some kids are just like that!  I struggled with breastfeeding my son, we were no less than 2 hourly until solids were well established and now he eats like a horse.  I just think he's a hungry boy!  I once heard another Mum at nursery being told "your daughter only had half of her lunch but it was a big portion".  Move to me, "your son had two portions of lunch and was asking for more..." Greedy guts!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/