Author Topic: 3-year old who does not eat, does not feed herself and has horrible table manner  (Read 2292 times)

Offline ICCmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Where do I begin, my daughter will be 3 years old in Sept and I am beyond frustrated with feeding her. It is honestly something that I dread doing and I honestly believe I may have a breakdown because of it.

Here are the details:
- she does not eat meat, never has. Not pureed, not with sauce, she won't even let it get near her mouth to try. I have been able to get her to eat chicken on occasion, but not without a big fight and a lot of gagging
- she does not eat vegetables. Only raw baby carrots and salad on occasion (only the lettuce, no cucumbers or anything else)
- she eats soup (broth with noodles, no meat or veggies), kraft macaroni and cheese (not homemade macaroni and cheese where I try to sneak in some pureed veggies), grilled cheese sandwiches, toast with nutella and peanut butter and pasta with tomato sauce (no meat)
- she refuses to feed herself and will sit for hours at the table until someone feeds her
- she does not sit still at the table, she plays with her feet, she turns around, she sings songs, talks to herself...she will do anything but eat

Here is her routine:
7am - wakes and has a glass of milk and 1 slice of toast with peanut butter and nutella
9:30-10am - snack
12:30-1 - lunch
4-5 - snack
6-7 - dinner
9pm - bed (but she usually doesn't fall asleep until 10pm or later...she will sing and talk to herself until she falls asleep

She is with us on the weekends, we try to be consistent, but every meal typically ends in disaster. We've tried leaving her at the table until she's finished and putting her to bed straight away if she doesn't.
Tues, Thurs and Friday she is in daycare - I'm pretty sure they just put the food out in front of her and don't really monitor if she has eaten or not. All I know is that when I pick her up at 5pm, she's usually on her second helping of a snack (cookies or other junk)
Mon and Wed she is with my mother in law. My mother in law spoils her rotten. She will present her with a literal smorgasbord of food. If she doesn't like what my mother in law has served for lunch, my mother in law will make her something else. My mother in law will put the TV on to distract her and shovel food into her mouth as she is watching. She then gives her an 8-ounce bottle (even though she doesn't have a bottle anywhere else) and puts her to sleep. She will let her sleep for as long as she needs, usually 2.5-3 hours (she has usually just woken up by the time we pick her up at 5pm-ish). These are typically the nights she is awake past 10pm. My mother in law is very over-bearing and doesn't typically react well when I ask her to modify "her way" of doing things.

I am beyond frustrated. I don't know what to do anymore.  I am to the point now where I feed her junk to get her to eat. We have an episode every single day, she is crying, I am crying, my husband is upset...this is no way to live. What can I do?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585

It is so stressful when our LOs won't eat. One thing to remember going forward is that you can't force her to eat. Shouldn't too i suppose. Try and remember just like sleep all we can do is provide food and a healthy balanced diet and leave her too it.  If she eats great, if not fine.  As you have already tried different approaches which have included punishment I would totally steer away from all that.

Your MIL needs to be on board. She is not helping things. If you can't convince her then I would say you've spoken to the doctor about your DDs eating and he has said you all need to be consistent in your approach.

I would say daycare need to stop the junk and it's probably best to just get it out of the house too so you aren't tempted to give it to her just so she has eaten something.

The best approach I have found is just provide a meal that has 4/5 foods. Try and include 2 foods you know she'll eat easily enough. Eat with her. Absolutely NO commenting on her eating or not eating. No cajoling or encouraging or getting cross.  Remove all emotion.   It's just a meal. Once a reasonable time has passed that's the meal over and you just move on with your day. 

It will take many weeks I imagine to get her to the place where she is ready to trying new things but at this stage I think you need to work on removing the emotion and establishing that this is what's to eat and no scurrying around trying to find something she will eat.

I did find at this age too I had remove the pm snack as it really impacted dinner time. As for the behaviours you mention I would totally ignore those and just get on with chatting and eating your meal. I think that's fairly age appropriate although I know it can be irritating!!

And I would totally leave her to feed herself and at this stage if she wants to use fingers let her.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
I don't have this kind of situation so any advice from me is guesswork.  I would suggest asking the nursery only to give healthier snacks, e.g. breadsticks, fruit, vegetables, rice cakes that kind of thing.  I am shocked they give biscuits tbh and irrespective of how well or not my child eats, I would be furious if they did that.  Do they not tell you how much she's eaten daily?

Secondly I'd seek medical help.  If you're in the UK, I'd try your health visitor as they may be able to help or refer you to someone who can.  I think at 3, it's definitely worth getting more advice as at school it's only likely to get worse.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
I agree with Shiv. 

I know it is easy for us to say and hard for you do sit through {{{{HUGS}}}}