Author Topic: What veggies do you use as finger food?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline :: ANA ::

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Previously n&a's mommy
What veggies do you use as finger food?
« on: July 03, 2012, 01:43:56 am »
Hi!

I can't find veggies suitable for finger food...My LO is 1yo and has only 4 teeth (two lower, two upper), so he can't really chew that much yet.
I think carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, spinach, etc., are too hard or tricky right now.

Broccoli and cauliflower are the only options I've found so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks!! =)
Ana

~Carly~

Re: What veggies do you use as finger food?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:51:18 am »
At that age, sweet potato 'fries' were a big hit with DS1.  I would toss them in olive oil and bake them with a little cinnamon.  DS1 didn't get teeth until after a year, but he could gum them!

How about steamed asparagus?  It would be easy to hold :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:10:52 am »
Hi Ana
LO's can gum down finger foods and don't need any teeth.  People who follow baby led weaning give a whole range of veg (and meat etc) from aged 6 months, no teeth at all.

Try batons, wedges or 'fingers' of carrot, green beans, mange tout, asparagus steamed, this is really quick and you can do a few different things to give LO the choice of which to eat.

Oven baked/roasted veg are also great, try sweet potato, turnip, or potato chips or wedges, like pp said just chop, toss in a little oil and shove in the oven.  The outside it sometimes quite 'dry' and firm which is easier to pick up whilst the inside is soft and mushes to almost a puree when LO chomps and gums on it (or sucks on it).

In a stew pop in big chunks of courgette, aubergine, carrot, red pepper, swede, sweet pot etc, they cook to a softish consistency whilst still being big enough for LO to pick up with fingers.  I tend to chop lots really small so they cook down into the 'stock' or 'sauce' and chop others big so they are the chunky bits.

Peas and sweetcorn are great at this age, LO's love chasing them around the plate practising their pincer grip.

Tomatoes can be sliced, or what my LO likes is the cherry toms or baby plum toms left whole but fried ntil they begin to soften, they are so sweet and juicy.

Spinach is good chopped up, steamed and stirred into pasta with some cream cheese, dash of milk and some nutmeg or garlic, an easy pasta dish.

I would think if your LO 'rejects' a lot of veg just now it could be more to do with the texture and flavour being new rather than not having enough teeth to chew them.  Just keep offering.

Hope this helps.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 18:33:22 pm »
Don't forget pincer grip.  At 1 year he should be fine picking up individual peas, sweetcorn.  Also cooked vegetables are fine at that age.  My son was eating cooked broccoli and carrots at 6 months as finger food and was having cooked potato not that long after.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 18:35:24 pm »
Any and all veggies are fine at that age.  My DD had no teeth until 14 months and she ate them all as finger foods x

Offline :: ANA ::

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Previously n&a's mommy
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:03:22 am »
I'm soooo glad I asked!
Thanks a lot =)
Ana