Author Topic: Bottle feeding older toddlers - experiences.  (Read 2373 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Bottle feeding older toddlers - experiences.
« on: July 03, 2012, 19:19:09 pm »
So DD is 25 mths and still has a bottle at nap and bedtime. I am not stressed about this - but was just looking for experiences of how others kids went on to drop the bottle. DS self weaned at 20 mths when one day I told him his bottle was mucky and he best have a cup instead. He was only on bedtime bottle by then anyway.

It is part of her 'snuggle time', and she likes it for that.

Don't panic BWers  ;), it is no prop, meanly a comfort thing that she can't have forever (unlike rabbit which she can as far as I am concerned  :)). She is fine when she sometimes decides she doesn't want it, and also will drink milk in a cup if the mood takes her.

At this point I am not looking to actively drop it - more wondered how it may all pan out if I continue to take a more child led approach.

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
Re: Bottle feeding older toddlers - experiences.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 19:42:29 pm »
DS probably transitioned to a soft spout nuby cup thing around 17/18 months - because his teats finally broke, and then once the soft spouts had completely broken we used to stick a straw though them, which moved to a mug with a straw and now he has warm milk in a mug. Still has it though! First thing in the morning and last thing (before teeth) before bed. Much like DH and my cup of tea!

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 19:58:25 pm »
Following along Liz.  DS is 22.5 months & also still has his BT bottle.  I can't bring myself to take it away so am kinda hoping he'll just drop it himself but I see no sign of it happening anytime soon!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 20:09:36 pm »
DH's nephew had his bedtime bottle until he was well over 3!  Probably nearer 4 actually.  It was just not a battle my SIL wanted to fight as he was number 3 and it was a real comfort to him.   I think they just had a chat about it and she suggested a date they'd stop it and he agreed and that was that. 

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 20:11:48 pm »
Nght time bottle was a huge thing for DS, not just for comfort but also for hunger.  I was a bit worried but didnt try to drop it.  One night, he was 35mo, suddenly decided that it wasnt yummy anymore!  Lol. As long as the dentist isnt concerned about the bite, etc. 

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 20:16:03 pm »
As long as the dentist isnt concerned about the bite, etc.
My dentist always said one bottle or even two would not make a button of difference to teeth or bite.  He said it is only a worry if kids are attached to a bottle all day long. 

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 20:23:28 pm »
Anika still drinks Alimentum, and it is vile tasting. She is 26, going on 27 months, and until there is another type of milk she can tolerate, I am sticking to the bottle.

I would just offer it in a different type of container, sippy, cup, whatever, and let ehr know it is available that way. Depends also on where she has the milk. If still in her room just before teeth and bed, I would transition it to in the kitchen or where ever, just before you go upstairs for bath books and bed. That is what we did with Henry, and once that new routine was established, he was really amenable to having his milk in a straw sippy. He was about 15-16 months old at that time. So a little younger. However breaking the cycle he was used to in having it worked a charm for us.

Just a thought.