Author Topic: Anyone else's toddler uninterested in fork?  (Read 8126 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Anyone else's toddler uninterested in fork?
« on: July 04, 2012, 00:27:04 am »
Just that really. Z ignores it, and rejects us offering it to him. I just put it on the plate anyway...
He also only uses a spoon for yogurt ::) everything else is fingers.

He is fussy as at the moment anyway but I'm not stressing about that so much while these canines come through and as his stomach adjusts to having acid (we have just weaned omeprazole)

Any tips to encourage the fork? Should I care?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Rizo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Anyone else's toddler uninterested in fork?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:50:52 am »
My DS has always preferred the fork to spoon ::) but a little boy in his class at preschool used to eat EVERYTHING with his hands until he was about 2years. Then all of a sudden now he eats with a fork or spoon... I guess when he is ready he will try. Ofcourse if he is pushing 4years old I would try to encourage but for now I would say if the food is getting in, its getting in and it doesn't matter what way :P

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 18:46:29 pm »
My DS likes to have a loaded fork but also still uses his fingers.
Sometimes I encourage him to stab his own food which he rarely manages (but does show an interest to try since I encouraged a little) and if he is trying I leave him to it until he either hands me the fork or shows in some way he would like help.  The encouragement was/is verbal and hand over hand but literally one or two stabs in a meal, not every meal and not forcing him.  For DS it made him realise that HE can do it, same as when he used to think it was my job to hold the sippy cup until I told him he could do it and showed with some hand over hand.
I sometimes do a little hand over hand on both knife and fork to chop up one item on his plate (I stand behind him) or to spread some pate on a cracker, just to introduce the idea.
With the fork he likes me doing the 'stab stab stab' words :)

That said, I wouldn't worry about it.  It's like any of their new skills it will come in time with some demonstration and when they are ready.

One thing - does he have a fork like yours or a plastic one or child one?  I found DS didn't even recognise plastic cutlery, he has the metal ones that look like regular cutlery but are slightly smaller and the knife is kind of blunt.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 19:38:51 pm »
good ideas creations :) Ill try.
He has a bunnikins set - no knife yet but a small metal fork and spoon
***Sara***

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 19:42:07 pm »
With the fork he likes me doing the 'stab stab stab' words
we do ^^^this too!  I do wonder sometimes if anyone sees him pointing a fork shouting 'stab stab stab' they may think he is crazy!

I also stood behind Oliver & held his hand on the fork to show him how to use it.  

TBH he still doesn't use it much, but will on occasion attempt to pick food up with it.  he still struggles a bit though, so will often pick it up with his fingers, deposit it on the fork & then put the loaded fork in his mouth. ::)

I guess they will all do it when they are ready!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 19:58:47 pm »
I do wonder sometimes if anyone sees him pointing a fork shouting 'stab stab stab' they may think he is crazy!
lol
My DS runs up and down the house shouting 'die die die die!'  I have no idea what he thinks he is saying, I don't think he even knows what he is trying to say but it is quite amusing.  Another one is '6 6 6' - Imagine!  ::)

Sara, I think bunnikins has a plastic handle so looks different from the grown up cutlery?
It may make no difference to Z at all, or it might.  DS only just puts up with his toddler set and they are totally metal just like adult ones only slightly shorter, he is trying to get my fork most of the time and I've started thinking of just giving him a regular one, you know how they want everything to be the same as mummy's and daddy's!
I assume the fork is sharp enough (not too rounded) many I looked at in the shops were silly rounded and would never have 'stab stab stabbed' anything.

I read on another thread that IKEA do a nice little set for a reasonable price, although I can't find it now, but I found this article which shows a pic.
http://www.mummyreviews.com/wp/2010/03/ikea-fabler-3-piece-cutlery-set/
Ours were from a pound shop (ie dirt cheap) and look very similar but have little animals engraved on the handle rather than the star/crown.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 20:06:58 pm »
No ikea in NZ :(
The handle is metal but coloured here. Cream with bunnies. Sorry I thought you meant was it plastic.
hes not eating much either with these teeth so I guess that doesnt help. Ill try to do the stab stab stab (lol) thing ;)
Ill also have a hunt for small metal forks etc
***Sara***

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 20:15:18 pm »
Sorry I thought you meant was it plastic.
confusion all around.  I thought those bunnikins had a plastic handle, which as you say they don't, but I DID also mean was the whole fork plastic.
The regular shops and supermarkets here don't seem to sell these big kid metal cutlery sets, it seems to only be the dirt cheap shops and market stall type places.  Maybe same in NZ?
I think from the other thread this sort are Montessori recommended.

Offline Rizo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 22:21:33 pm »
Zacsmumme, they have some really good cute metal cutlery sets at Farmers. Wait til they are 50% off and they are $15. We have 2 sets and they are just like adults cutlery but smaller :)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 22:54:50 pm »
thank you!
***Sara***